daily mass schedule
Saturday 5:30 pm (Sunday's Liturgy)
*Sunday 9:00 am, 11:30 am English, 1:30 pm Español
Monday 7:00 am (Ancient Form), Noon
Tuesday 12:00 noon
Wednesday 7:00 am, Noon
Thursday 12:00 noon
Friday 7:00 am, Noon
*Missa Cantata in the Ancient Form of the Roman Rite - Every 4th Sunday at 5:00 pm
The sacrament of Confession is available starting 30 minutes before each weekend Mass and each daily noon Mass and also by appointment.
prayer & adoration (outside of lent)
•Morning Prayer - after the 7am Mass on Mon/Wed/Fri
•Adoration - First Fridays following the Noon Mass until 5:30 pm Benediction, and continuing from 9pm - 7am
calendar of events
- On Sunday, May 27, at 5pm we invite you to join us for our next fourth Sunday Missa Cantata, a chanted Latin Mass in the ancient form of the Roman rite. Our Basilica Potluck will follow.
- On Friday, June 1, we will have First Friday Adoration, concluding with Benediction at 5:30.
- Friday, June 8 is the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Our Noon Mass will be a sung Mass.
- All Basilica altar servers from our English, Spanish, and Latin Masses will be honored at the 5:30 Mass next Saturday, June 9. Fr. Carter asks us to join him in thankful appreciation for their service.
Help us raise $35,000 by May 31 to install two ranks we need to complete the organ: the trompettes and clarinet, a total of 122 custom made pipes! Our organ will already be down for maintenance after the sanctuary renovation, and adding the pipes at this time will save us money and additional downtime in the future.
Your help is greatly appreciated! We have made it 70% towards our goal! We still need $11,000 to complete the organ....
- Does your estate plan address your biggest concerns?
- Do I have enough money to live on for the rest of my life?
- How can I provide for my spouse, children and grandchildren?
- How can I give to my heirs prudently and responsibly?
- How can I minimize taxes and support causes I believe in?
The session will last approximately one hour. A light lunch and refreshments will be served.
A monthly Evening of Recollection is offered at the Basilica. The evenings, led by a Basilica priest, include Adoration, confessions, a meditation on the writings of St. Josemaria Escrivá, and spiritual fellowship. Evenings are from 7-9pm and begin in the church. The next dates are June 13 for Men and June 20 for Women. For details, contact Dan and Nancy Fisher or the parish office.
On Tuesday, May 22, all priests of our diocese will be attending a meeting in Knoxville. A deacon will lead a Communion Service at our noon Mass time.
Please pray for our Confirmandi. Bishop Stika administered the Sacrament of Confirmation to many Confirmandi from the Basilica at the new Cathedral in Knoxville on Saturday, May 5. Cardinal Rigali will confirm two dozen Spanish-speaking Confirmandi from the Basilica, along with others from the Chattanooga deanery, at the Basilica on Saturday, May 26 at 10am.
The parish office will be closed Monday, May 28, in observance of Memorial Day.
On the last Tuesday of the month, May 29, the Catholic Motherhood ministry will meet at 7pm in Varallo Parish Hall to pray the Rosary, followed by Mom's Night Out at Rembrandt's. On the second Tuesday of the month, June 12, the Catholic Motherhood ministry meets from 10-11:30am in Varallo Parish Hall. Sister Imelda will be our guest speaker. All mothers of all ages are welcome to both meetings. A nursery is available for the morning meeting.
Our 2018 Vacation Bible School: “Discovery Mission,” will be held the week of June 18th-22nd from 8:30 am-Noon. Registration is due by June 8. Forms are in the vestibule or you can download one here. We are still looking for helpers. Please contact Danielle Stradley to volunteer.
Deacon Gaspar will be offering a VIRTUS class at the Basilica on Thurs, June 28 from 1-4pm in the St. Dominic Building. You can register for this or any of the upcoming "Protecting God's Children" classes through the Diocese of Knoxville website (dioknox.org). Follow the links under “Safe Environment.”
Consider joining Fr. Carter and Dcn. Gaspar on a summer tour of Ireland and Scotland July 6 - 19. It will include a stop in the hometown of the Servant of God, Patrick Ryan. Flyers are in the vestibule.
From now until Pentecost Sunday, RCIA will be exploring Pope Francis' exhortation: Rejoice and Be Glad. Please join us Sunday mornings between the Masses at 10:15am in Varallo Parish Hall. No prework needed—we will have short passages available, read them together, and study them as we would in Lectio Divino. Don’t miss this chance to dig more deeply into the Holy Father’s latest writing and find what it might mean for you in your own life.
A Book Study is ongoing on Wednesdays at 7:40am in Varallo Parish Hall. On April 25 we began studying The Great Divorce, by C. S. Lewis. For more information, please call the parish office.
A Spanish class has started on Wednesdays from 5pm to 6:30pm in the Religious Education building. There is no fee for the class but those interested must register by calling the parish office.
Our That Man is You group meets on Saturdays at 7am in Varallo Parish Hall.
We have an immediate need in three areas for volunteers:
- First, our Ombrellino Gift Shop is in need of volunteers to open the bookstore. Without volunteers opening the bookstore, it remains closed and we miss our opportunity to reach people.
- Secondly, our St. Mary Magdalene Bereavement Ministry: When parishioners die, we have a great tradition of offering a meal for the family after the funeral, which brings great consolation to those who mourn. However, we are currently in need of volunteers and leadership of this very important ministry.
- Finally, our Gloria Dei Schola is always looking for new singers, but in particular, due to varying life circumstances, several of our singers are having to take leave and as a result we have an immediate, urgent need for ALTOS, TENORS, and BASSES who can read music, so that the beautiful sacred music that we have come to enjoy may continue.
- Fr. David Carter
Many people these days manage their money online and have expressed a desire to tithe online, and so we have a link on our website for people who choose to give this way. People have also expressed interest in participating in the weekly collection, and so we have produced a card in the pew with an image of the Three Wise Men bringing their gifts to the Christ child. On the back it states, “We Give Electronically.” This card is placed in the pew so we may put it into the collection basket to remind us that our online offerings are a gift to God and an essential part of our commitment to His Church,
We are in need of donations for altar flowers. Please consider being a supporter of the Basilica's apostolate of beauty. Maybe you want to honor a family member, a birthday, or an anniversary! Contact the parish office for details.
Incense for Upcoming Weekends and Holy Days
Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity (Sat.-Sun. May 25-26): incense at 11:30 and 1:30 only
Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ (Sat.-Sun. June 2-3): incense at all Masses
June 8-9: Ordinary Time: incense at 11:30 and 1:30 only
See our article, The Use of Incense in the Mass, for more information.