daily mass schedule
Saturday 5:30 pm (Sunday's Liturgy)
*Sunday 9:00 am, 11:30 am English, 1:30 pm Español
Monday 7:00 am (Ancient Form), Noon
Tuesday 12:00 noon
Wednesday 7:00 am, Noon
Thursday 12:00 noon
Friday 7:00 am, Noon
*Missa Cantata in the Ancient Form of the Roman Rite - Every 4th Sunday at 5:00 pm
The sacrament of Confession is available starting 30 minutes before each weekend Mass and each daily noon Mass and also by appointment.
prayer & adoration (outside of lent)
•Morning Prayer - after the 7am Mass on Mon/Wed/Fri
•Adoration - First Fridays following the Noon Mass until 5:30 pm Benediction, and continuing from 9pm - 7am
calendar of events
- On Sunday, April 22, at 5pm we invite you to join us for our next fourth Sunday Missa Cantata, a chanted Latin Mass in the ancient form of the Roman rite. Our monthly Basilica Potluck will follow. We are looking for more helpers to support our monthly potluck, going forward. Please contact Shannon Hinson.
- The 7th anniversary of the dedication of Sts. Peter and Paul as a minor basilica will be commemorated with a Sung Mass at Noon on Thursday, May 3, the Feast of Sts. Philip and James. A plenary indulgence is possible, under the usual conditions, for those who visit the Basilica on May 3.The Basilica will be open from 9am - 4pm on May 3.
- Our annual May Crowning devotion to honor our Blessed Mother will be held Sunday, May 13, after the 9:00 Mass. Please bring flowers for the procession, which will begin at about 10:15 am. All are encouraged to participate.
Many people these days manage their money online and have expressed a desire to tithe online, and so we have a link on our website for people who choose to give this way. People have also expressed interest in participating in the weekly collection, and so we have produced a card in the pew with an image of the Three Wise Men bringing their gifts to the Christ child. On the back it states, “We Give Electronically.” This card is placed in the pew so we may put it into the collection basket to remind us that our online offerings are a gift to God and an essential part of our commitment to His Church,
We have an immediate need in three areas for volunteers:
- First, our Ombrellino Gift Shop is in need of volunteers to open the bookstore. Without volunteers opening the bookstore, it remains closed and we miss our opportunity to reach people.
- Secondly, our St. Mary Magdalene Bereavement Ministry: When parishioners die, we have a great tradition of offering a meal for the family after the funeral, which brings great consolation to those who mourn. However, we are currently in need of volunteers and leadership of this very important ministry.
- Finally, our Gloria Dei Schola is always looking for new singers, but in particular, due to varying life circumstances, several of our singers are having to take leave and as a result we have an immediate, urgent need for ALTOS and TENORS who can read music, so that the beautiful sacred music that we have come to enjoy may continue.
- Fr. David Carter
From now until Pentecost Sunday, RCIA will be exploring Pope Francis' exhortation: Rejoice and Be Glad. Please join us Sunday mornings between the Masses at 10:15am in Varallo Parish Hall. No prework needed—we will have short passages available, read them together, and study them as we would in Lectio Divino. Don’t miss this chance to dig more deeply into the Holy Father’s latest writing and find what it might mean for you in your own life.
Our Catholic Motherhood ministry will meet Tuesday, April 24th, at 7pm in Varallo Parish Hall to discuss the last chapter of “The Power of Silence” by Cardinal Sarah. Afterwards they will go to City Café for our Moms’ night out. All mothers of all ages are welcome.
A Book Study is ongoing on Wednesdays at 7:40am in Varallo Parish Hall. On April 25 we will begin studying The Great Divorce, by C. S. Lewis. For more information, please call the parish office.
A monthly Evening of Recollection is offered at the Basilica. The evenings, led by a Basilica priest, include Adoration, confessions, a meditation on the writings of St. Josemaria Escrivá, and spiritual fellowship. Evenings are from 7-9pm and begin in the church. The next dates are May 2 for Men and May 9 for Women. For details, contact Dan and Nancy Fisher or the parish office.
Deacon Gaspar will be offering a VIRTUS class at the Basilica on Thurs, Apr. 26 from 1-4pm in the St. Dominic Building. You can register for this or any of the upcoming "Protecting God's Children" classes through the Diocese of Knoxville website (dioknox.org). Follow the links under “Safe Environment.”
Our St. Ambrose Catholic Homeschool Co-op will be having a bake sale after the Masses on April 28th & 29th. Please plan to support our co-op by purchasing some baked goods that weekend. Also, registration in the co-op for Fall 2018 is now open. Pick up a flyer in the vestibule.
On Friday, May 4, we will have First Friday Adoration, concluding with Benediction at 5:30.
Please pray for our Confirmandi. Bishop Stika will administer the Sacrament of Confirmation to more than 30 Confirmandi from the Basilica at the new Cathedral in Knoxville on Saturday, May 5. Cardinal Rigali will confirm two dozen Spanish-speaking Confirmandi from the Basilica, along with others from the Chattanooga deanery, at the Basilica on Saturday, May 26 at 10am.
On Tuesday, May 8, the Catholic Motherhood ministry will meet from 10-11:30am in Varallo Parish Hall to study last chapter of the book, "The Power of Silence" by Cardinal Sarah. A nursery will be available for the morning meeting. All mothers of all ages are welcome.
Students of our St. Cecilia Classroom will give their Spring Piano and Organ Recital at 10:00 am at the Basilica on Saturday, May 12. All parishioners are invited to celebrate our students’ musical success.
Consider joining Fr. Carter and Dcn. Gaspar on a summer tour of Ireland and Scotland July 6 - 19. It will include a stop in the hometown of the Servant of God, Patrick Ryan. Flyers are in the vestibule.
2018 Vacation Bible School – Discovery Mission – will be held June 18-22 from 8am – Noon. If you are interested in helping, contact Danielle Stradley through the parish office.
Our That Man is You group meets on Saturdays at 7am in Varallo Parish Hall.
A Spanish class has started on Wednesdays from 5pm to 6:30pm in the Religious Education building. There is no fee for the class but those interested must register by calling the parish office.
Fr. Christopher Riehl, who has been in residence with us these past few months, is being assigned as Chaplain of Alexian Village on Signal Mountain, effective April 1st. We thank him for his ministry and service to our parish and wish him well in this new assignment. Because we are losing his daily presence, the 7am Mass on Tuesday and Thursday are no longer offered.
We are in need of donations for altar flowers. Please consider being a supporter of the Basilica's apostolate of beauty. Maybe you want to honor a family member, a birthday, or an anniversary! Contact the parish office for details.