5:30 pm Sat. Vigil - Recited Novus Ordo Mass in English
9:00 am Sun. - Simple Sung Novus Ordo Mass in English with choir
11:30 am Sun. - Sung Novus Ordo Mass in English & Latin with schola, incense, ad orientem
1:30 pm Sun. - Sung Novus Ordo Misa en Español & Latin with choir, incense, ad orientem seasonally
5:00 pm 4th Sun. Missa Cantata, Usus Antiquior, sung in Latin with schola, incense, ad orientem
7:00 am Mon. - Recited Low Mass in the Usus Antiquior in Latin, ad orientem
7:00 am Wed. & Fri. - Recited Novus Ordo Mass in English
12:00 pm Mon. - Fri. - Recited Novus Ordo Mass in English
- Novus Ordo -“New Order” of Mass following the Second Vatican Council (2000 Missal)
- Usus Antiquior - The “more ancient use”; Traditional Latin Mass / Extraordinary Form (1962 Missal)
- ad orientem - Priest & people together face liturgical east; symbol of the Church awaiting Christ’s return in glory
The sacrament of Confession is available starting 30 minutes before each weekend Mass and each daily noon Mass, except Thursdays, and also by appointment.
Offered during the 9:00 & 11:30 Sunday Masses. Volunteers and donations needed.
prayer & adoration (outside of lent)
•Morning Prayer - after the 7am Mass on Mon/Wed/Fri
•Adoration - First Fridays following the Noon Mass until 5:30 pm Benediction, and continuing from 9pm - 7am
calendar of events
- On Sunday, September 23, at 5pm we invite you to join us for our next fourth Sunday Missa Cantata, a chanted Latin Mass in the ancient form of the Roman rite, accompanied by the singing of our Gloria Dei Schola and our Jubilate Deo Youth Schola.(The nursery will not be staffed for the Missa Cantata. Also, we will not be having a potluck after this Mass.)
- Starting Friday, September 28, in accord with Bishop Stika’s request, on Fridays at 7am and noon, the Basilica will offer the Votive Mass of the Sacred Heart of Jesus for the reparation of sins against the Church. Mass will conclude with the recitation of an Act of Reparation to the Sacred Heart of Jesus by the assembly. This will be the Mass offered every Friday, except when it is superseded by a feast day.
- Due to priestly travel obligations, a deacon will offer a Communion service on Tues. Oct. 4 at noon, Wed. Oct 5 at 7am, and Thurs. Oct 6 at noon.
WHAT: Auditions for First Annual Basilica Christmas Pageant
WHO: All Students K-12th
WHEN: Sat., Sept. 29 at 9am and Sun., Sept. 30 at 5:30 pm
WHERE: Varallo Parish Hall
The play, sponsored by our RE program, will be on Sat., Dec. 29 at 6:30pm. There are 9 principal parts plus supporting roles and backstage and logistics crew needed. For more information, see the flyer about Auditions and the rehearsal schedule
Religious Education Classes for Age 3 - Grade 12 10:15-11:15am Sundays in the St. Dominic Building
Middle School and High School Youth Group 6:30-8:30pm Sundays at All Saints Academy
RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) 10:15-11:15am Sundays at All Saints Academy
Sexual Revolution: 50 Years of Humanae Vitae
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 14 6:30-8:30pm in Varallo Parish Hall
- Dinner provided by the Knights of Columbus
- Nursery available for kids Grade 5 and younger
- Kids Grade 6 and up invited to the Youth Group meeting at All Saints Academy
- Co-sponsored by the Diocesan Office of Marriage Preparation and Enrichment.
- Admission is FREE. Donations are welcomed.
- To reserve your seat and for more info, contact Dee Cooper firstname.lastname@example.org 702-403-5605 or Marian Christiana 423-892-2310 email@example.com.
NURSERY VOLUNTEERS AND DONATIONS NEEDED
In order to ensure a safe environment for our children, and in accord with state and diocesan policy, our nursery policy is that we have two adults in the nursery at all times, effective immediately. One of them is our paid staff member, but we are in need of volunteers to be the second person. The second person must be VIRTUS-trained and commit to being present. A sign-up sheet is in the nursery. There is also a donation box in the nursery to defray the $45 cost of keeping it staffed each Sunday. If we do not have your commitment, we will no longer be able to offer nursery services.
MASS IN THANKSGIVING OF MARRIAGE AT THE CATHEDRAL
In thanksgiving for the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony, Bishop Stika will celebrate a bilingual Mass on Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 1pm at the Cathedral in Knoxville. Couples will have the opportunity to renew their vows during Mass and celebrate with family and friends at a reception following the Mass. Register by Thursday, October 4. See the diocese's post for details.
SANCTUARY RENOVATION UPDATE
The Basilica began a sanctuary renovation on July 23, and we expect it to be completed by December. While the church is being renovated, we will continue to offer Masses and confessions at our regular times.
Masses will be celebrated in Varallo Parish Hall. The main entry to the vestibule will be closed, but four entrances will be available. See entry map.
Confessions will be offered in the Rectory. (Use the front gate entry facing East 8th Street).
Adoration on First Fridays will be in the rectory from 12:30-5:30pm. It will continue from 9pm-7am Saturday in Varallo Parish Hall.
Electricians have been hard at work renovating the wiring and lighting for the church and sanctuary. This will update our electrical infrastructure from the 1936 version to the 2018 version. 😊 The wood floor installation and restoration will begin soon. We are in the process of acquiring the new stone altar top for our new main altar. We hope to be finished on time and we are grateful for your prayer and support for this monumental project.
We need people in the parish to PRAY - for the people who are volunteering, for the material suppliers, for the laborers and craftsmen and all their families - specifically that no one is injured or hurt during the project, and these prayers, novenas - any and every kind of offering - can be set aside for the project's successful completion to greater glory of God, for the good of this parish and the good of His Holy Church.
St. Benedict is known as the Father of Western (European) Monasticism. But his spirituality of prayer and work is valid for even the layman who lives in the world. There is a group of people in our parish who are developing a chapter of lay oblates of St. Benedict. The group focuses on applying the Rule of St. Benedict to their lives, learning to pray the Scriptures through lectio divina and offering the Liturgy of the Hours in praise of God. If you are interested in learning more about this spirituality, we are now meeting on the third Sunday of each month from 5-6:30pm. The next meeting will be on Sept. 16. Meetings will be held in Varallo Parish Hall while the church is under renovation. To find out more, please call the parish office or contact Daniel Sharkey at 877-3239.
A monthly Evening of Recollection is offered at the Basilica. The evenings, normally led by a Basilica priest, include Adoration, confessions, a meditation on the writings of St. Josemaria Escrivá, and spiritual fellowship. Evenings are from 7-9pm and and are being held in the Rectory Chapel during the renovation. Due to Fr. Carter's travels, we will have an alternative gathering on October 3 for Men and October 10 for Women (details to come). Contact Dan and Nancy Fisher or the parish office for more information.
The Catholic Motherhood ministry has begun studying Scott Hahn’s book: The First Society: The Sacrament of Matrimony and the Restoration of the Social Order, which can be ordered on amazon.com. The next meeting will be Tuesday, Oct. 16th from 10-11:30am in Varallo Parish Hall. All mothers are welcome and a nursery will be available.
Also, Catholic Motherhood ministry is offering a new study for moms of all ages, entitled, “Momnipotent," facilitated by Sandy Pricer, on the 4th Tuesday of each month. The next study will be on September 25th from 7-9:30pm, in the St. Dominic Religious Education building. Please bring a snack and/or drink to share if you are able. Contact Rachel Wesson with any questions or to be added to the Catholic Motherhood Group email list.
Note: Our Spanish language class that had been meeting on Wednesdays from 5pm to 6:30pm in the Religious Education building has been canceled.
RCIA requires the involvement of the parish at several levels. Right now, the team is in need of volunteers who would be willing to be a sponsor (befriend someone in the process and provide additional companionship on the journey) as well as folks who would be interested in presenting an aspect of the faith in class (Mary, Confession, The Saints, Devotions, anything—). Before you say “I don’t know enough,” know that the RCIA team is there to support you and both sponsoring and resenting are excellent ways to deepen your own faith. Please consider volunteering in either capacity (or both); we also need folks willing to provide refreshments for class. Contact the parish office. Many hands make light—and rewarding—work!
We have an immediate need in three areas for volunteers:
- First, our Ombrellino Gift Shop is in need of volunteers to open the bookstore. Without volunteers opening the bookstore, it remains closed and we miss our opportunity to reach people.
- Secondly, our St. Mary Magdalene Bereavement Ministry: When parishioners die, we have a great tradition of offering a meal for the family after the funeral, which brings great consolation to those who mourn. However, we are currently in need of volunteers and leadership of this very important ministry.
- Finally, our choirs are always looking for new singers, but in particular, due to varying life circumstances, several of our singers are having to take leave and as a result we have an immediate, urgent need for TENORS and BASSES who can read music, so that the beautiful sacred music that we have come to enjoy may continue.
- Fr. David Carter
VIRTUS Training - Parents and other adults who would like to participate in our youth programs are required to be certified under the VIRTUS program. Deacon Gaspar will be offering a VIRTUS class at the Basilica on Tuesday, October 30, from 1-4pm in the St. Dominic Building. Registration is required. You can register for this or any of the upcoming VIRTUS sessions from the Diocese of Knoxville website (dioknox.org). Follow the links under “Safe Environment.”
As we have only one priest the weekend of Sept. 29 & 30, CONFESSIONS will be offered at the following times (and not before the 9am and 1:30pm Masses).
5:00-5:20pm SAT 9/29
11:00-11:20am SUN 9/30
Confessions will be offered at 11:30-11:50am weekdays except Thursday, as usual.