support the basilica
5:30 pm Sat. Vigil - Recited Novus Ordo Mass in English
9:00 am Sun. - Simple Sung Novus Ordo Mass in English with choir
11:30 am Sun. - Sung Novus Ordo Mass in English & Latin with schola, incense, ad orientem
1:30 pm Sun. - Sung Novus Ordo Misa en Español & Latin with choir, incense, ad orientem seasonally
5:00 pm 4th Sun. Missa Cantata, Usus Antiquior, sung in Latin with schola, incense, ad orientem
7:00 am Mon. - Recited Low Mass in the Usus Antiquior in Latin, ad orientem
7:00 am Wed. & Fri. - Recited Novus Ordo Mass in English
12:00 pm Mon. - Fri. - Recited Novus Ordo Mass in English
- Novus Ordo -“New Order” of Mass following the Second Vatican Council (2000 Missal)
- Usus Antiquior - The “more ancient use”; Traditional Latin Mass / Extraordinary Form (1962 Missal)
- ad orientem - Priest & people together face liturgical east; symbol of the Church awaiting Christ’s return in glory
The sacrament of Confession is available starting 30 minutes before each weekend Mass and each daily noon Mass, except Thursdays, and also by appointment.
Offered during the 9:00 & 11:30 Sunday Masses. Volunteers and donations needed.
prayer & adoration (outside of lent)
•Morning Prayer - after the 7am Mass on Mon/Wed/Fri
•Adoration - First Fridays following the Noon Mass until 5:30 pm Benediction, and continuing from 9pm - 7am
calendar of events
myParish appStay connected to the Basilica throughout the week through our myParish app. Search for myParish on the App Store or Google Play to download our app.
SANCTUARY RENOVATION UPDATE -
FINAL STRETCH toward regular Masses in the renovated church this Saturday! ONE MORE DAY OF CLEANING: This Saturday, Dec. 15, 8:30am-3pm. Especially those who have not yet had a chance to contribute to the volunteer effort toward our renovation, your opportunity is now! We need help dusting, vacuuming, and moving a few things into place before Masses. We will be working in all areas of the church (choir loft, nave, sacristy, vestibule, and basement) and are counting on many hands to get us through this final stretch. Also, please BRING SHOP VACS if you have them. We have still not found the ones we purchased, and these would help us do a better job. Many thanks to ALL our volunteers! For more information, contact David Bryant at 270-746-3245.
We are still awaiting two important items: the altar rail was delayed in its shipment and we expect it will be here in time for the Dedication. Second, the main Tabernacle was sent off for refurbishment and encountered delays there, and it will not be present for the Dedication. Temporarily, we will use the Tabernacle from the rectory chapel. We will let you know when the new Tabernacle will be installed and dedicated.
The Basilica began a sanctuary renovation on July 23, and we expect it to be completed in December and return to the church for Masses the weekend of December 15-16. While the church is being renovated, we will continue to offer Masses and confessions at our regular times.
Masses are being celebrated in Varallo Parish Hall. The main entry to the vestibule is closed, but four entrances are available. See entry map.
Confessions are offered in the Rectory. (Use the front gate entry facing East 8th Street).
Adoration on First Fridays is in the rectory from 12:30-5:30pm. It will continue from 9pm-7am Saturday in Varallo Parish Hall.
ADVENT AT THE BASILICA
Masses in the renovated church begin the weekend of December 15-16!
Advent Penance Service at the Basilica
Mon., Dec. 17 at 6:00 pm
Altar Dedication Mass with Bishop Stika
10am Sun., Dec. 23 (no 9am, 11:30, or 5pm Mass that day)
Next Missa Cantata
Due to the dedication of the new altar on December 23, there will be no Missa Cantata in December. Our next Missa Cantata in the ancient form is Sun., Jan. 27, 2019 at 5:00 pm.
THE OCTAVE OF CHRISTMAS AT THE BASILICA - See our Christmas flyer
Solemnity of Christmas* - Holy Day of Obligation
- Mon. Dec. 24 5:30 pm (prelude 5:00 pm; Gloria Dei Schola & Jubilate Deo Youth Schola)
- Tues. Dec. 25 12:00 am (prelude 11:30 pm; with choir)
- Tues. Dec. 25 12:00 pm (bilingual; with choir)
Holy Family Dec. 29 - 30 - Regular Mass schedule: 5:30 Vigil, 9am, 11:30am, 1:30pm Spanish
Christmas Pageant: "The First Christmas"
- Sat. Dec. 29 6:30 in Varallo Parish Hall
- Dinner reception to follow—All are welcome!
Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God* - Holy Day of Obligation
- Mon. Dec. 31 6:30 pm (bilingual; with choir)
- Tues. Jan. 1 12:00 pm (with schola)
* Incense and Missa de Angelis sung at all Masses for the Solemnities of Christmas and Mary, Mother of God
Help Needed for our Hispanic Immigrant Families - Information Meeting Dec. 16 between the Masses
A representative from the Tennessee Immigration and Refugee Rights Coalition will be at the Basilica on Sunday, Dec. 16 between the morning Masses to discuss ways we can help our fellow Hispanic parishioners who do not have the legal status that we enjoy, and live in fear of deportation. After the recent government raid in Grainger County, St. Patrick’s in Morristown partnered with this Coalition to provide refuge, child care, and other emergency assistance to many families who were displaced. We hope to be able to come together at the Basilica to respond effectively if something like this were to happen here. If you would like to be a part of a rapid response team help our immigrant community, please give us your name and contact information so that we can keep you involved in the discussion. A signup sheet is at the Hispanic ministry table by the kitchen, or you can contact the parish office. And please pray for our immigrant community.
As Bishop Stika has said, our response to this crisis “isn’t about politics or personal agendas. It’s about being the face, hands, feet, and heart of Jesus— at all times and to all people.”
Our Secretary, Becky Dempsey, has decided to step down from her position in order to dedicate her attention to her family’s business venture. She will be greatly missed in the office as her warm and friendly presence was a blessing to all of us. She has expressed an eagerness to take up other volunteer opportunities in the parish and for that we are all grateful! Please join me in wishing Becky many blessings in this change. - Fr. David Carter
New Parish Secretary
We are pleased to announce that Cathy Oliver has been appointed as our new Parish Secretary, beginning Monday, December 10. Please welcome Cathy on our Basilica parish staff. Many parishioners may already know Cathy, as she attends daily Mass at the Basilica and is very involved in Catholic life in our community.
- In accord with Bishop Stika, on Fridays at 7am and noon, the Basilica will offer the Votive Mass of the Sacred Heart of Jesus for the reparation of sins against the Church. Mass will conclude with the recitation of an Act of Reparation to the Sacred Heart of Jesus by the assembly. This will be the Mass offered every Friday, except when it is superseded by a feast day.
- While Fr. Blatchford is in Rome, a deacon will offer a Communion Service at our Noon Mass time on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, December 17th through 19th.
- There will be no 7am or Noon Mass on Monday, December 24th, and no 7am Mass on Wednesday, December 26th.
PARISH OFFICE HOLIDAY SCHEDULE
- Closed for Christmas Mon./Tues./Wed. Dec. 24-26
- Open Thurs. & Fri., Dec. 27 & 28
- Closed for New Year’s Mon. & Tues., Dec. 31 & Jan. 1
- Re-opens Wed. Jan. 2
PLEASE JOIN IN PRAYER
- A Rosary will be prayed in English after the 9:00 Mass. We will gather at the statue of the Blessed Mother.
- Each Sunday at 12:45pm, we pray a Bilingual Rosary with our parishioners from our English and Spanish Masses. This is an opportunity for our bilingual community to join in solidarity through the prayers that we share in common. All are invited. Bilingual handouts will be provided.
- Christ Post, husband of Mayra and father of Niko and Ariana, was in a serious accident on October 19. Chris is improving, thanks be to God, but the recovery will be long. The family greatly appreciates the continued prayers of our parish community.
- Barbara DeGaetano, wife of Deacon Gaspar, passed away on Thursday afternoon, October 11. Fr. Blatchford was at the bedside and prayed the last rites, including the Litany of the Dying. She died during the Litany of the Saints. May she rest in peace.
We now have the myParish cell phone app to help you stay connected with the Basilica throughout the week, and give you quick access to daily readings, prayers, homilies, parish staff, bulletins, calendar, and much more. Visit myparishapp.com on your phone or go to your phone's app store to download it. You can also send a text message to the number 88202 with the word app to receive a link to download the app.
We have added Groups to help various ministries communicate. To join a Group, you will need to install myParish app and then create a User Account (My Account option in the main menu). Then you can select the Groups and request to join any of the groups that apply to your ministry or interests.
CALENDAR OF UPCOMING EVENTS
The Catholic Motherhood ministry is studying Scott Hahn’s book: The First Society: The Sacrament of Matrimony and the Restoration of the Social Order, which can be ordered on amazon.com. The next meeting will be Tuesday, Dec. 11th, from 10-11:30am in Varallo Parish Hall. All mothers are welcome, and a nursery will be available.
Also, the Catholic Motherhood ministry is offering a new study for moms of all ages, entitled, “Momnipotent," facilitated by Sandy Pricer, on the last Tuesday of each month. We will not meet in December. The next study will be on January 29th from 7-9:30pm. Please bring a snack or drink to share. Contact Rachel Wesson with any questions or to be added to the Catholic Motherhood Group email list.
Our Book Club meets at 7:40am Wednesdays in Varallo Parish Hall and is always open to newcomers. We will meet on December 12 to finish discussing St. Thomas Aquinas: 'The Dumb Ox', by G. K. Chesterton. On January 9, we plan to begin a new book, Reclaiming Catholic Social Teaching, by Antholy Esolen.
A monthly Evening of Formation is offered at the Basilica. The evenings, normally led by a Basilica priest, include Adoration, confessions, a meditation on the writings of St. Josemaria Escrivá, and spiritual fellowship. Evenings are from 7-9pm and and are being held in the Rectory Chapel during the renovation. There will be no Evenings of Formation in December. The next evenings will be January 9 for men and February 13 for women. Contact Dan and Nancy Fisher or the parish office for more information.
St. Benedict is known as the Father of Western (European) Monasticism. But his spirituality of prayer and work is valid for even the layman who lives in the world. Our new chapter of lay oblates of St. Benedict focuses on applying the Rule of St. Benedict to our lives, learning to pray the Scriptures through lectio divina and offering the Liturgy of the Hours in praise of God. We are now meeting on the third Sunday of each month from 5-6:30pm. There will not be a meeting in December. The next meeting will be on Jan. 20. Meetings will be held in Varallo Parish Hall while the church is under renovation. To find out more, please call the parish office or contact Daniel Sharkey at 877-3239.Natural Family Planning Classes! - We now have a Couple-to-Couple League NFP teaching couple at the Basilica! Check our Marriage page under Sacraments for NFP class opportunities.
Note: Our Spanish language class that had been meeting on Wednesdays from 5pm to 6:30pm in the Religious Education building has been canceled.
Religious Education Classes for Age 3 - Grade 12 10:15-11:15am Sundays in the St. Dominic Building
Middle School and High School Youth Group 6:30-8:30pm Sundays at All Saints Academy
RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) 10:15-11:15am Sundays at All Saints Academy
Join in welcoming RCIA candidates and catechumens.
- Donations of sweet or savory breakfast items are needed. Please contact Danielle Jones to contribute, email@example.com. Your help in providing hospitality during Sunday morning classes is appreciated.
- Our parish prays for those in RCIA by sending the RCIA Rosary to a different home each week. Sign-up sheet is located at the entrance to Varallo Parish Hall on the table across from the elevator.
- We are in need of more people to serve as sponsors.
- Donations of prayer cards and religious articles would be welcomed. Please drop them off at the parish office.
NURSERY VOLUNTEERS AND DONATIONS NEEDED
In order to ensure a safe environment for our children, and in accord with state and diocesan policy, our nursery policy is that we have two adults in the nursery at all times. One of them is our paid staff member, but we are in need of volunteers to be the second person. The second person must be VIRTUS-trained and commit to being present. A sign-up sheet is in the nursery. In order for the nursery to open the following Sunday, someone will need to be signed up to volunteer for the 9am & 11:30 Masses by the end of Masses each Sunday. Each family who uses the nursery is asked to volunteer for at least one Mass per calendar quarter. There is also a donation box in the nursery to defray the $45 cost of keeping it staffed each Sunday. If we do not have your commitment, we will no longer be able to offer nursery services.
VIRTUS Training February 5
Parents and other adults who would like to participate in our youth programs are required to be certified under the VIRTUS program. Deacon Gaspar will be offering a VIRTUS class at the Basilica on Tuesday, February 5, from 5:30 – 8:30pm. You can register for this or any of the upcoming VIRTUS sessions at virtusonline.org (click here and select the Knoxville Diocese).