support the basilica
WEEKENDS — Public Masses beginning May 31stSat. 5:30 pm - English Ordinary Form Vigil Mass (spoken)
Sun. 7:00 am - Spanish Ordinary Form Mass (spoken)
Sun. 9:00 am - English Ordinary Form Mass (sung)
Sun. 11:30 am - Extraordinary Form Mass (Latin, sung)
Sun. 1:30 pm - Spanish Ordinary Form Mass (sung)
*With the need for social distancing, we cannot offer confessions on weekends, but we offer them Mon-Fri. 11am-12pm.
WEEKDAYS— Public Masses in church7:00 am Mon/Wed/Fri - English Ordinary Form Mass (spoken)
7:30 am Mon-Sat - Morning Prayer
12:00 pm Mon-Fri - English Ordinary Form Mass (spoken)
7 am - 5:30 pm daily - Church open for prayer
11 am - 12 pm Mon-Fri - Confessions (or by appointment)
5 pm daily - Latin Vespers (6:30 pm Saturday)
The sacrament of Confession is available Monday - Friday, 11am - 12pm, and also by appointment.
Currently open as a sitting room for children with their parents while viewing the Mass
First Fridays following the Noon Mass until 5:30 pm Benediction
calendar of events
myParish appStay connected to the Basilica throughout the week through our myParish app. Search for myParish on the App Store or Google Play to download our app.
WATCH LIVE MASSES, prayers, and other events at the Basilica HERE on our Facebook page. (You do not need a Facebook account.)
Check out our priests' recent homilies on our HOMILIES page.
An Act of Spiritual Communion may be prayed at times when it is not possible to receive the Sacrament physically.
BASILICA CORONAVIRUS MEASURES -
The dispensation from the Sunday Mass obligation continues until further notice during this pandemic. Public Masses resumed at the Basilica May 25th.
WEEKENDS - Public Masses in English, Spanish, and Latin have all resumed.
- 5:30 pm Sat. - English Ordinary Form public Mass 8/2/20 Readings
- 7:00 am Sun. - Spanish Ordinary Form public Mass 8/2/20 Lecturas
- 9:00 am Sun. - English Ordinary Form public Mass 8/2/20 Readings
- 11:30 am Sun. - Extraordinary Form Mass (Latin, sung) 8/2/20 Readings (Lecturas) for 9th Sunday after Pentecost Customary Postures
- 1:30 pm Sun. - Spanish Ordinary Form public Mass 8/2/20 Lecturas
- 12:30 - 5:30 pm - Church will be open for Adoration and prayer
- 7:00 am Mon/Wed/Fri - English Ordinary Form Mass
WEEKDAYS - Public Masses have resumed:
- 7:00 am - 5:30 pm daily - Church open for prayer
- 12:00 pm Mon-Fri - English Ordinary Form Mass
- 11 am - 12 pm Mon-Fri - Confessions
- 5 pm daily - Latin Vespers
When visiting the church, it is required by Bishop Stika to wear a mask or some sort of face covering and keep 6 feet distance from others. If you have had symptoms of illness recently, please postpone your visit.
The parish office is open from 9am - 4pm Mon-Fri, and will be observing the following health guidelines with all visitors:
All visitors must ring the bell and be screened for questions relating to COVID-19 prior to entering. Have you:
- Been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19?
- Traveled outside the country within the last month?
- Have a cough, shortness of breath or sore throat?
- Had a fever (100.4 or higher) in the last 48 hours?
- Had a new loss of taste or smell?
- Had vomiting or diarrhea in the last 48 hours?
If you have been exposed, have any symptoms, or are not felling well, you will not be able to enter the office.
Sign-in, temperature check, and masks will also be required for visitors to enter the office.
Call 423-266-1618 or email email@example.com We are here and able to assist most needs this way.
5/6/20 - Bishop Stika issues directives for resumption of public Masses - extends dispensation (read his letter and the decree here.)
4/24/20 - Message from Fr. Carter: Competing ideals and concerns / Ideales e inquietudes en competencia
3/20/20 - Decree of the Apostolic Penitentiary on the granting of special Indulgences to the faithful in the current pandemic (READ) (VIDEO explanation by Fr. Carter)
Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord on August 6
On Thurs., August 6, our 12pm Mass will be a sung Mass
SAFE HAVEN replacing VIRTUS - Complete your online training here by August 31!
Parents and other adults who serve in ministries that involve youth are now required to be certified under the “Safe Haven” program, which is replacing the previous VIRTUS Safe Environment program for the Diocese of Knoxville. All adult volunteers who are in contact with youth, including those who have already been VIRTUS-certified, must complete this new program by August 31. The registration and training is available to everyone online at your convenience (allow 2.5 hours).
- Everyone accessing this program for the first time will need to set up a new account for yourself; the diocese has not set up accounts for anyone.
- If this is the first time you are seeking certification for your ministry at the Basilica, you must complete the Background Check module of the training to be certified. Otherwise, please omit this step, and the parish office will contact you if you need a new background check. A new background check is required for volunteers every five years.
- Clergy, employees, and volunteers who have financial responsibility should complete a separate training module sent to them by the Diocese of Knoxville or Marina Delaney in the parish office.
DESPENSA DE COMIDA - Domingos 2 de agosto, y 16 de agosto de 2 pm a 4 pm, habrá una distribución gratuita de alimentos donados a los necesitados durante esta pandemia de COVID-19, en el centro de ministerio hispano de la Basílica en 2311 E 23rd St.Chattanooga, TN 37407. Se requiere el uso de las máscaras. Si tiene COVID-19 y necesita ayuda alimentaria, llamenos al 423-544-7417.
Vacation Bible School 2020
We have an exciting At Home VBS program that begins June 22, 2020 and is available all summer! See our Religious Education page for more info and to sign up.
In this video, Fr. David Carter, Pastor and Rector of the Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul, introduces the more ancient form of the Roman rite, known as the Extraordinary Form or the Traditional Latin Mass, which is now being offered at the Basilica every Sunday at 11:30 am. Watch here.
FORMED, a rich program of online Catholic resources offered by the Augustine Institute, is now available to Basilica parishioners!
FORMED has resources tailored to this time of social distancing, including Living out the Mission at home and special collections of programs for Mass at Home, Faith at Home, School at Home and Pray at Home.
BECOMING CATHOLIC (RCIA)
RCIA Is getting ready for the 2020-2021 year! We plan to begin classes on the weekend of Sept.6 (details to be confirmed at a later date), and they will be Zoom/video meetings, to take COVID concerns into account.
- If you are interested in learning more about the Catholic Faith (whether you're already Catholic or not!), please contact Dan Pacitti for more details.
- If you are interested in assisting by sponsoring candidates, presenting topics, or providing prayer/worship aids, please also contact Dan Pacitti so we can work out a schedule.
Contact Dan Pacitti at firstname.lastname@example.org or 865-335-3076 for more information.
WAYS TO GIVE AND RECEIVE HELP
- Chattanooga Community Kitchen provides food service for the homeless and the poor. They are seeking volunteers to serve meals daily during the crisis (one-hour shifts at 7am, 11:30am, and 3:30pm). They also request donations of money and supplies.
- Our Basilica parish partners with the St. Vincent de Paul Society based at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church. To assist them with their work in supporting and visiting the poor, call 423-999-6332. (Also, our next quarterly food drive at the Basilica will be July 18-19 and 25-26, with food dropoff in the vestibule. Priority items needed: boxed milk, jelly, saltine crackers, macaroni and cheese, canned fruits and vegetables Other needed items: beans, rice, peanut butter, pasta, spaghetti sauce, baby food, canned tuna and chicken. Please bring non-perishable food items and put them in the basket in our Basilica church vestibule.)
- Our Basilica parish supports the Ladies of Charity, who give direct financial assistance to the poor. Their greatest need is monetary donations, but they are also collecting inventory. Please mail checks to: Ladies of Charity of Chattanooga, 2821 Rossville Blvd, Chattanooga, TN 37407. (Please call before dropping items off to ensure someone is there.)
- St. Alexius Outreach Ministries is involved with visiting and shopping for homebound seniors. If you would like to volunteer, contact Susan Chill at (423) 718-2959.
- Chattanooga Area Food Bank - Dial 211 to request a voucher for an emergency food box. To find a food pantry visit ChattFoodBank.org/hungry. For help buying groceries Call 706-330-4562 or email@example.com. Donate: $1 provides 4 meals. Volunteer: Sign-up for shifts at ChattFoodBank.org/involved.
- Catholic Charities of East Tennessee is offering "Telehealth" online counseling for mental health needs during the coronavirus pandemic - See list of counselors
- Free Car Seats for Tornado Victims - The Pregnancy Help Center in Chattanooga is offering free car seats for tornado victims. If you have been negatively impacted by the Chattanooga tornado and need a car seat, please contact Sheri at 423-826-0673.
Call to service from Fr. Carter: We are still looking for more technical volunteers to operate the live-stream, as well as ushers and cleaning volunteers for each weekend Mass. We have a particular need for people to commit to the 11:30 Extraordinary Form Mass. What we are seeing is that many have said they would volunteer, but few actually come. The only reason we have been able to live-stream the Masses with a technical volunteer and the required number of ushers and cleaners is because a few volunteers are serving at two or three Masses each weekend to make it possible, while others are not serving in any capacity. If you are capable of coming to Mass, I entreat you to seriously consider the call to enable us to continue this public offering, by stepping up for one of these duties. Training will be provided. Please contact the parish office with your name, email, and phone number, to be added to the list, and we will contact you with more information.
Ushers and Cleaning Volunteers: Please prepare by watching the training and reading the procedures below:
- Video of our Basilica COVID Safety Training held on 5/22/20
- Usher and Cleaning Procedures for Resuming Public Masses
Ujieres y limpiadores: Prepáresen observando la capacitación y leyendo los procedimientos a continuación:
QUARANTINE-TIME LIVE-STREAMED EVENTS FROM THE BASILICA
While we have been sheltering at home and unable to experience the kinds of in-person activities and traditions that we normally enjoy, we invite you to join virtually for events offered by our Basilica clergy and parishioners. Simply tune in at the scheduled time on our Facebook page (accessible via the Watch Live link on our website; no Facebook account required).
Past Virtual Events can be viewed here:A Short Virtual Piano Recital by Fr. Valentin Iurochkin (4/15/20) - Watch recorded video here
REGISTER HERE FOR OUR 2019-20 PROGRAMS -
While in-person classes and meetings are currently suspended, you can still get involved in the following programs by registering, communicating with the program director, and participating in virtual meetings that are being set up:Religious Education Classes for Age 3 - Grade 12 10:15-11:15am Sundays in the St. Dominic RE Building. Class attendance is required for the Sacraments of First Holy Communion and Confirmation. Classes are currently suspended.
Middle School and High School Youth Group 6:30-8:30pm Sundays in the St. Dominic RE Building. Currently hosting virtual meetings.
RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) 10:15-11:15am Sundays in Varallo Parish Hall - If you are interested in exploring the Catholic faith, or know someone who is, please contact Dan Pacitti at firstname.lastname@example.org or 865-335-3076. Meetings are currently suspended.Catholic Scouting at the Basilica
American Heritage Girls and Trail Life USA boys are meeting Mondays from 7pm to 8:30. Meetings at the parish are currently suspended. Contact Terrance Jones (email@example.com) or Connie Holub (firstname.lastname@example.org)!
PARISH MINISTRY UPCOMING EVENTS - Below are regular scheduled activities. Please note that all parish activities on campus are currently suspended during the coronavirus outbreak. However, some of the groups are continuing to meet virtually.
Catholic Motherhood ministry normally meets on the second Tues. of each month and the last Wednesday evening of the month. Meetings are currently suspended, but online communication and meetings are still being scheduled. Contact email@example.com with any questions or to be added to the Catholic Motherhood email list.
Book Club meets from 7:40-8:45am Wednesdays in Varallo Parish Hall and is always open to newcomers. Meetings are currently suspended, but we will soon begin Dante’s Inferno (The Divine Comedy): translation by Anthony Esolen, available on amazon.com. Contact JuliAnna Hills at 931-581-7527 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Lay Oblates of St. Benedict - St. Benedict is known as the Father of Western (European) Monasticism. But his spirituality of prayer and work is valid for even the layman who lives in the world. Our chapter of Lay Oblates of St. Benedict focuses on applying the Rule of St. Benedict to our lives, learning to pray the Scriptures through lectio divina and offering the Liturgy of the Hours in praise of God. We normally meet on the third Sunday of each month from 5-6:30pm in the church. Meetings are currently suspended.To find out more, please contact Jason Richard at 423-432-7196.
The Deacon’s Table, hosted by Dcn. Tom and Brenda McConnell, meets every Sunday from 10:15-11:15am in Varallo Parish Hall. Meetings are currently suspended. On Feb. 2nd we launched an 8-part DVD series by Jeff Cavins on “The Activated Disciple”. In preparation, you are strongly encouraged to purchase Jeff’s book entitled “The Activated Disciple…Taking Your Faith to the Next Level”, published by Ascension Press. You can also purchase his book, “The Activated Disciple Challenge” to follow along the DVD series. Contact Dcn. Tom for further information.
SPANISH Language Class - Meetings are currently suspended. For more information, contact our teacher, Armando Sedeño, through the parish office, or email@example.com.
Young Adults - “Catholic Chatt” meets Sunday evenings and also Monday ladies' & men's night and Tuesday taco nights. We do not belong to one parish but rather are a combination of all congregations in the Chattanooga area. Join our Facebook Group to keep posted on our activities. Contact Jonah Coronis, Basilica parishioner, at 423-424-8618 or firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about the group.
Married and Engaged Ministry - If you are married or engaged, join the "Basilica Married and Engaged Ministry" group on Facebook and our weekly Tuesday Zoom meeting from 7-9pm. There will be stimulating discussions on parenting, Catholic life, and life in general. Eventually we will have date nights, pot lucks and profound friendships that will last a lifetime. There is no age limit. All engaged and married couples are welcome. We look forward to seeing you! Contact Amelia & Doug Weissman at email@example.com for more information. Join the Zoom meeting here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/608875139
St. Ambrose Catholic Homeschool Co-Op - To ensure the safety of our community, St. Ambrose Catholic Homeschool Co-Op will not be meeting for the fall 2020 semester. Stay tuned for a return for spring 2021. There are great things ahead! From our families to yours, we wish you continued health and look forward to meeting again.
We are in need of donations for altar flowers. Please consider being a supporter of the Basilica's apostolate of beauty. Maybe you want to honor a family member, a birthday, or an anniversary! Contact the parish office for details.
Visit Jerusalem, Galilee, Capernaum, Bethlehem, Thessalonki, Kalambaka, Phillippi, Kavala, Meteora, Delphi, Corinth, Athens, Piraeus, Mykonos, Kusadasi, Ephesus, Patmos, and Santorini. Cost is $4,999 (Airfare included from anywhere in the US) with a $500 deposit required to secure a spot. Tour Brochures are in the parish office. Contact: Jennifer Wadsworth of Pro Catholic Tours at (612)-730-2890/ firstname.lastname@example.org.
PHOTOS OF PAST EVENTS
Photos from our Easter Vigil Mass 2019, by Robin Rudd We had 58 people receiving sacraments of initiation!
Photos from Holy Thursday and Good Friday 2019, by Christina Bankson
Catholic Late Night is a YouTube show by Overt TV, with the goal to counter the bombardment of internet distraction, pornography, and sin at every turn in our culture. They focus on helping young people understand their purpose in life and the meaning of their sexuality, through the lens of the Catholic faith. The show is produced by Patrick Hanus, a graduate of the Franciscan University of Steubenville and Basilica parishioner. The show airs on YouTube Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10pm. Check out Catholic Late Night here!
We now have the myParish cell phone app to help you stay connected with the Basilica throughout the week, and give you quick access to daily readings, prayers, homilies, parish staff, bulletins, calendar, and much more. Visit myparishapp.com on your phone or go to your phone's app store to download it. You can also send a text message to the number 88202 with the word app to receive a link to download the app.
We have added Groups to help various ministries communicate. To join a Group, you will need to install myParish app and then create a User Account (My Account option in the main menu). Then you can select the Groups and request to join any of the groups that apply to your ministry or interests.
WEDDING WISDOM from Fr. Carter, Pastor
* The Basilica parish community is forming an "Underground Railroad" of homes to help engaged people avoid or leave the situation of cohabitation prior to marriage. If you are interested in offering a room in your home to an engaged person for a short period, in support of chastity and sacramental marriage, please contact the parish office.
POSTPONED (date TBA) - The Mass: Across the Ages - Mozart Coronation Mass, Misa Criolla in Spanish, and more - with Chattanooga Girls Choir, McCallie Boys Choir, Voci Virili, Voice of Reason - donations accepted to benefit our historic Basilica "Under One Roof".
GET INVOLVED AT THE BASILICA!
Find out all the good things we are doing as well as the challenges and opportunities to join and serve!
- Liturgical Ministry Appeal January 2020
If you are not yet involved in one of our liturgical ministries - Altar Guild, Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, Lectors, Sacred Music, Sacristans, and Ushers/Greeters/Announcers - please consider the call to serve. Fill out our Liturgical Ministry Form or pick one up in the vestibule and turn it in to the parish office.
— including Fr. Carter’s 2019 State of the Parish address —
- 2020 Calendar of Anticipated Events at the Basilica (Note that cancellations due to coronavirus are not reflected in this calendar.)