daily mass schedule
Saturday 5:30 pm (Sunday's Liturgy)
*Sunday 9:00 am, 11:30 am English, 1:30 pm Español
Monday 7:00 am (Ancient Form), Noon
Tuesday 12:00 noon
Wednesday 7:00 am, Noon
Thursday 12:00 noon
Friday 7:00 am, Noon
*Missa Cantata in the Ancient Form of the Roman Rite - Every 4th Sunday at 5:00 pm
The sacrament of Confession is available starting 30 minutes before each weekend Mass and each daily noon Mass and also by appointment.
prayer & adoration (outside of lent)
•Morning Prayer - after the 7am Mass on Mon/Wed/Fri
•Adoration - First Fridays following the Noon Mass until 5:30 pm Benediction, and continuing from 9pm - 7am
calendar of events
Canticum Novum Chorale is the latest and most finely-tuned iteration of an ongoing musical collaboration that has spanned over three decades. These choristers, with Musical Director Linda Lufter Morgan and accompanist Margaret Jackson McDonald, bring together all those many years of collective melodic and harmonic efforts to share acoustical magic. Members of this group have performed in churches and Cathedrals in Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston SC, and Washington DC. An earlier version of this ensemble performed in Italy, Austria, the Czech Republic, Germany, and, once, in-transit at cruising altitude over the Atlantic Ocean.
- On Sunday, June 24, at 5pm we invite you to join us for our next fourth Sunday Missa Cantata, a chanted Latin Mass in the ancient form of the Roman rite. (We will not be having a potluck after this Mass.)
- Our patronal feast day, the Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul, is Friday, June 29. It is the 128th anniversary of our church's dedication in 1890. This day is an opportunity for plenary indulgence to visitors. The conditions for the indulgence are listed in the bulletin as well as the plaque in the vestibule. The Basilica will be open to visitors from 7am-4pm Friday, and at Noon on Fri., June 29 we will have a sung Mass, in addition to our 7am Mass. We will continue celebrating the Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul at all our weekend Masses June 30-July 1.
- On Friday, July 6, we will have the Noon Mass followed by First Friday Adoration, concluding with Benediction at 5:30. Adoration will continue from 9pm – 7am, hosted by our Hispanic community. This will be our final all-night Adoration Vigil until after the renovation is completed.
VIRTUS Training - Parents and other adults who would like to participate in our youth programs are required to be certified under the VIRTUS program. Deacon Gaspar will be offering a VIRTUS class at the Basilica on Thursday, June 28, from 1-4pm in the St. Dominic Building. Registration is required. You can register for this or any of the upcoming VIRTUS sessions from the Diocese of Knoxville website (dioknox.org). Follow the links under “Safe Environment.”
RCIA requires the involvement of the parish at several levels. Right now, the team is in need of volunteers who would be willing to be a sponsor (befriend someone in the process and provide additional companionship on the journey) as well as folks who would be interested in presenting an aspect of the faith in class (Mary, Confession, The Saints, Devotions, anything—). Before you say “I don’t know enough,” know that the RCIA team in there to support you and both sponsoring and resenting are excellent ways to deepen your own faith. Please consider volunteering in either capacity (or both); we also need folks willing to provide refreshments for class. Contact the parish office. Many hands make light—and rewarding—work!
A monthly Evening of Recollection is offered at the Basilica. The evenings, led by a Basilica priest, include Adoration, confessions, a meditation on the writings of St. Josemaria Escrivá, and spiritual fellowship. Evenings are from 7-9pm and begin in the church. The next dates are June 20 for Women and August 1 for Men. (Due to Fr. Carter's travel to Ireland, there will be no Evenings of Recollection in July.) For details, contact Dan and Nancy Fisher or the parish office.
Middle & High Schoolers, including rising and graduating students: Starting May 29 we will have Taco Tuesdays at Poblano’s each Tuesday through the end of June, from 11:30 am–1:30 pm. Come for FREE TACOS and drinks and conversation (and a possible guest speaker)!
All Middle and High School Youth are invited to Movie Night this Friday, June 22 from 7-10pm at Debbie Cliche’s home. Come for games, movie, and fellowship outside on the patio. Contact Debbie to confirm your attendance.
On the last Tuesday of the month, June 26, the Catholic Motherhood ministry will meet at 7pm in Varallo Parish Hall to pray the Rosary, followed by Mom's Night Out at Las Margaritas. On the second Tuesday of the month, July 11, the Catholic Motherhood ministry meets from 10-11:30am in Varallo Parish Hall. Our guest speaker will be Fr. Adam Royal. All mothers of all ages are welcome to both meetings. A nursery is available for the morning meeting.
Our 2018 Vacation Bible School: “Discovery Mission,” will be held the week of June 18th-22nd from 8:30 am-Noon. Registration is due by June 8. Forms are in the vestibule or you can download one here. We are still looking for helpers. Please contact Danielle Stradley to volunteer.
Deacon Gaspar will be offering a VIRTUS class at the Basilica on Thurs, June 28 from 1-4pm in the St. Dominic Building. You can register for this or any of the upcoming "Protecting God's Children" classes through the Diocese of Knoxville website (dioknox.org). Follow the links under “Safe Environment.”
Consider joining Fr. Carter and Dcn. Gaspar on a summer tour of Ireland and Scotland July 6 - 19. It will include a stop in the hometown of the Servant of God, Patrick Ryan. Flyers are in the vestibule.
A Book Study is ongoing on Wednesdays at 7:40am in Varallo Parish Hall. On April 25 we began studying The Great Divorce, by C. S. Lewis. For more information, please call the parish office.
A Spanish class is on summer break. The class normally meets on Wednesdays from 5pm to 6:30pm in the Religious Education building. There is no fee for the class but those interested must register by calling the parish office.
Our That Man is You group meets on Saturdays at 7am in Varallo Parish Hall.
Thank you to all who have helped us raise $35,000 to install two ranks we need to complete the organ: the trompettes and clarinet, a total of 122 custom made pipes! Our organ will already be down for maintenance after the sanctuary renovation, and adding the pipes at this time will save us money and additional downtime in the future. Your response to this special call for help has been tremendous and is greatly appreciated!
We have an immediate need in three areas for volunteers:
- First, our Ombrellino Gift Shop is in need of volunteers to open the bookstore. Without volunteers opening the bookstore, it remains closed and we miss our opportunity to reach people.
- Secondly, our St. Mary Magdalene Bereavement Ministry: When parishioners die, we have a great tradition of offering a meal for the family after the funeral, which brings great consolation to those who mourn. However, we are currently in need of volunteers and leadership of this very important ministry.
- Finally, our Gloria Dei Schola is always looking for new singers, but in particular, due to varying life circumstances, several of our singers are having to take leave and as a result we have an immediate, urgent need for TENORS and BASSES who can read music, so that the beautiful sacred music that we have come to enjoy may continue.
- Fr. David Carter
Many people these days manage their money online and have expressed a desire to tithe online, and so we have a link on our website for people who choose to give this way. People have also expressed interest in participating in the weekly collection, and so we have produced a card in the pew with an image of the Three Wise Men bringing their gifts to the Christ child. On the back it states, “We Give Electronically.” This card is placed in the pew so we may put it into the collection basket to remind us that our online offerings are a gift to God and an essential part of our commitment to His Church,
We are in need of donations for altar flowers. Please consider being a supporter of the Basilica's apostolate of beauty. Maybe you want to honor a family member, a birthday, or an anniversary! Contact the parish office for details.
Incense for Upcoming Weekends and Holy Days
We normally use incense at our principal Sunday Masses at 11:30am (English) and 1:30pm (Spanish). On holy days we expand our use of incense. Over the next few weeks we have several feasts and solemnities to celebrate!June 23-24: Solemnity of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist: incense at all Masses except 5:30
June 29-July 1: Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul: incense at Friday noon, Sunday 9:00, 11:30, & 1pm
July 7-8 and beyond: Ordinary Time: incense at 11:30 and 1:30 only
See our article, The Use of Incense in the Mass, for more information.