support the basilica
5:30 pm Sat. Vigil - Recited Novus Ordo Mass in English
9:00 am Sun. - Simple Sung Novus Ordo Mass in English with choir
11:30 am Sun. - Sung Novus Ordo Mass in English & Latin with schola, incense, ad orientem
1:30 pm Sun. - Sung Novus Ordo Misa en Español & Latin with choir, incense, ad orientem seasonally
5:00 pm 4th Sun. Missa Cantata, Usus Antiquior, sung in Latin with schola, incense, ad orientem
7:00 am Mon. - Recited Low Mass in the Usus Antiquior in Latin, ad orientem
7:00 am Wed. & Fri. - Recited Novus Ordo Mass in English
12:00 pm Mon. - Fri. - Recited Novus Ordo Mass in English
- Novus Ordo -“New Order” of Mass following the Second Vatican Council (2000 Missal)
- Usus Antiquior - The “more ancient use”; Traditional Latin Mass / Extraordinary Form (1962 Missal)
- ad orientem - Priest & people together face liturgical east; symbol of the Church awaiting Christ’s return in glory
The sacrament of Confession is available starting 30 minutes before each weekend Mass and each daily noon Mass, except Thursdays, and also by appointment.
Offered during the 9:00 & 11:30 Sunday Masses. Volunteers and donations needed.
prayer & adoration (outside of lent)
•Morning Prayer - after the 7am Mass on Mon/Wed/Fri
•Adoration - First Fridays following the Noon Mass until 5:30 pm Benediction, and continuing from 9pm - 7am
calendar of events
myParish appStay connected to the Basilica throughout the week through our myParish app. Search for myParish on the App Store or Google Play to download our app.
FORMED, a rich program of online Catholic resources offered by the Augustine Institute, is now available to Basilica parishioners!
Wednesdays in Lent
5:45 pm Vespers (Evening Prayer)
6:00 pm Stations of the Cross
Fridays in Lent
Noon Mass followed by Exposition & Adoration
5:30 pm Benediction- with Jubilate Deo Youth Schola
5:45 pm Vespers (Evening Prayer)
6:00 pm Stations of the Cross (Children’s on 3/13 & 4/3)
6:30 pm Fish Fry ($7/adult, $5/child, $25/family)
7:30 pm Via Crucis (Spanish Stations of the Cross)
8:00 pm Adoration until 7am (Hispanic-led)Monday, March 25 12:00 pm - Sung Mass for the Solemnity of the Annunciation of the Lord - with a blessing for expectant mothers and mothers who have miscarried
LENTEN OPPORTUNITIES TO GIVE
Donations are needed for Welcome Baskets for 56 incoming candidates and catechumens. A donation of $15 provides 1 new member with a small statue, a crucifix, and a Sts. Peter and Paul medal. If you are unable to donate monetarily, consider writing a letter to a new member, in English or Spanish. Turn in donations in the vestibule the weekend of March 30-31, or to an RCIA leader, or to the parish office.
Catholic Relief Services RICE BOWL - Join our faith community and more than 14,000 Catholic communities across the US in a life-changing Lenten journey of encounter with CRS Rice Bowl. Pick up your family’s Rice Bowl in the church vestibule. During Lent, we will encounter the needs of the world. Visit crsricebowl.org for more information and remember to download the CRS Rice Bowl App!TRIVIA NIGHT AND DINNER - Youth Ministry Fundraiser: Gather your team and join fellow Chattanooga Catholics on Fri, April 26th at 7pm for the FIRST EVER Trivia Night and Dinner! Great prizes (top team, most spirited table, etc.), BBQ dinner, cash bar and auction! This fun night, will support OLPH, St. Jude, Sts. Peter and Paul, & St. Augustine youth events! Trivia Professionals Challenge Entertainment will lead the fun! Sponsored by the Knights of Columbus Council #610 and held at the Sylvan St. Hall in North Chattanooga. Tables are $125 for up to 8 players/team or $25/person. Space is limited, so register your team today! Price includes play and dinner/desserts. Registration forms are in the church vestibule or contact Debbie Cliche at 770-722-0957. The Youth Group will be selling tickets after Mass the weekends of March 30-31 and April 6-7
FISH FRY Each Friday of Lent
The Knights of Columbus Council 610 willoffer a fish fry in Varallo Parish Hall every Friday during Lent in Varallo Parish Hall, at 6:30pm after Stations of the Cross.
Menu: Beer Battered Cod, French Fries, Hush Puppies, French Fries, Cole Slaw, Soup & Salad (Vegan/Gluten Free)
Price (Cash or check payable to Knights of Columbus 610): $7/adult, $5/child, $25/family cap; $5 for seconds
Saturday, March 30th, 8:30 am to Noon, in the Basilica Rectory
The 8th Station of the Cross: Jesus Meets the Women of Jerusalem
An opportunity for the women of the parish to make inroads into the message of this often-overlooked encounter during the Passion. RSVP to Nikki Pacitti at (423)718-2843 or firstname.lastname@example.org by March 25th.
Miserere Mei, Deus (Have Mercy upon Me, O God), Gregor Allegri (1630s)
Upcoming Liturgy and Devotion Notices:
- Our next Missa Cantata in the ancient form is Sun., Apr. 28, at 5:00 pm.
- The Basilica invites you to commit to accompany Our Lord during the Friday Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament during Lent. You may sign up for one or more half-hour periods in the vestibule. Our next Exposition will be Friday, March 29, from 12:30pm—5:30pm Benediction. Adoration will resume through the night from 9pm Friday—7am Sat., hosted by our Hispanic community. All are encouraged to attend.
- The church is now open weekdays from 6am until the office closes at 4pm (with occasional exceptions for holidays), and you are invited to visit the Blessed Sacrament reserved in the Tabernacle. We would like to extend the open time, but we will need volunteer VIRTUS-certified custodians to commit to remaining in the church in order to afford this opportunity. If you are interested in this, call the parish office.
- In accord with Bishop Stika, on Fridays at 7am and noon, the Basilica will offer the Votive Mass of the Sacred Heart of Jesus for the reparation of sins against the Church. Mass will conclude with the recitation of an Act of Reparation to the Sacred Heart of Jesus by the assembly. This will be the Mass offered every Friday, except when it is superseded by a feast day.
If you are not yet involved in one of our liturgical ministries - Altar Guild, Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, Lectors, Sacred Music, Sacristans, and Ushers/Greeters/Announcers - please consider the call to serve. Download our Liturgical Ministry Form or pick one up in the vestibule and turn it in to the parish office.
CALENDAR OF UPCOMING MINISTRY EVENTSThe Catholic Motherhood ministry is studying Scott Hahn’s book: The First Society: The Sacrament of Matrimony and the Restoration of the Social Order, which can be ordered on amazon.com. The next meeting will be Tuesday, March 12th, from 10-11:30am in Varallo Parish Hall. All mothers are welcome, and a nursery will be available. The Catholic Motherhood ministry is now offering a study for moms of all ages, entitled, “Momnipotent," facilitated by Sandy Pricer, on the last Tuesday of each month.The next study will be on March 26th from 7-9:30pm. Please bring a snack or drink to share. Contact Rachel Wesson with any questions or to be added to the Catholic Motherhood Group email list.
Deacon’s Table - Dcn. Tom’s adult group continues to meet each 1st and 3rd Sunday from 10:15-11:15 am, in the Parish Office Mahoney Conference Room. After covering his own “Road to Rome” and Dr. Ray Guarendi’s return to the Catholic Faith after 10 years of evangelical Preaching, he’ll continue this theme for one more conversion story with former Protestant pastor, Michael Cumbie’s journey to the Catholic Church. Pull up a three-legged stool and join us at the table as we feed on the Spiritual Life of Catholics in three vital areas: a committed personal relationship with Jesus, a comfortable enthusiasm with the Bible, and a renewed active prayer life. The next meeting is April 7.
Men's Evening of Formation with the Saints - Begin your Lent with a really great Spiritual Director! Men, you are invited to hear the words of St. Francis DeSales during our next Evening of Formation, Wednesday, March 13th, from 7pm to 9pm. Come experience the grace of a good Confession, along with Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, formation and fellowship with other Catholic Men. "Let us advance, meanwhile, let us advance; let us make our way through these low valleys of the humble and little virtues." - St. Francis DeSales. For more information, call Dan Fisher 423-803-0257. (The next Men's Evening of Formation will be 7-9pm on Wed., May 8th.)
Our Book Club meets from 7:40-8:25am Wednesdays in Varallo Parish Hall and is always open to newcomers. In April, we will begin studyin a new book, Death Comes for the Archbishop, by Willa Cather.
SPANISH Language Class - Ready to start learning Spanish? We have just begun Spanish classes on Wednesdays at 6pm in the St. Dominic Building. It’s not too late to join! For more information, contact our new teacher, Armando Sedeño: 423-400-7208 or email@example.com.
Natural Family Planning Classes! - We now have a Couple-to-Couple League NFP teaching couple at the Basilica! The next class series is on three Thursday evenings: March 21, April 25, and May 16, from 6:30-9:00pm. See our Weddings page for details.
The Basilica has recently founded a Trail Life Troop for boys and an American Heritage Girls Troop for girls. These activities provide a great means to develop faith, virtue, skills and leadership for Catholic children ages 5-18. Fr. Carter participates, including attending hikes and campouts. Meetings are Mondays at 7 p.m. New families are welcome to visit and experience what we are all about. Contact Peter or Sherry Ohotnicky at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. More information may also be found at www.americanheritagegirls.org and traillifeusa.com.
Save the Date for our 2019 Vacation Bible School, for ages 3 through rising 8th graders, which will be held the week of June 17th – 21st from 9am-2:30pm. If you are interested in helping, contact Sandy Pricer.
- 33 Days to Morning Glory - Small Group Retreat leading up to Marian Consecration begins April 3rd, meets Wednesdays from 10-11:30am at the Basilica in the Parish Office Schmidt Conference Room, and will conclude with 12pm Mass on Mon, May 13, the Feast of Our Lady of Fatima. Those who have attended in previous years are invited to the May 13th Mass to renew their Consecration. Contact Paula Holmes at email@example.com or 239-560-6154 for more info or to register.
- Created for Connection - "Hold Me Tight" - 2-day workshop for Christian married and pre-marital couples: Sat., March 30 10am-5pm and Sun., March 31, 1pm-4pm at St. Stephen's Church, facilitated by Lee University's Marriage and Family Therapy graduate interns. Are you looking to enrich a healthy relationship, revitalize a tired one, or rescue one gone awry? We all desire a lifetime of love, support, and companionship, but sometimes we need a little help. With this workshop, you will take home tools that you can keep using in your relationship. $40/couple (includes Sat. lunch). Social Skills SS Grin workshop will be simultaneously offered for elementary aged children ($25/child). Download flyer for more information. Register by March 21 with Marian Christiana at firstname.lastname@example.org or (423) 892-2310.
- Now accepting nominations for the Longest Married Couple - The Office of Marriage Preparation and Enrichment is searching for the Longest Married Couple from each parish. The winners will receive a Certificate of Achievement in June. The longest married couple in our diocese will be submitted to Worldwide Marriage Encounter for their search of the longest married couple in each state and the nation, Longest Married Couple Project (LMC).
For the last four years the Diocese of Knoxville has had the Longest Married Couple in the State of Tennessee. Winners of the LMC Project are selected solely from nominations submitted and may not be submitted two years in a row. If you would like to nominate a couple for this honor please submit their names, their wedding date and what parish they belong to by Tuesday, April 30, 2019 to Marian Christiana at (423) 892-2310 or email@example.com
Many thanks to ALL our volunteers! We re-opened the renovated church for Masses beginning December 15-16!
PLEASE JOIN IN PRAYER
- A Rosary will be prayed in English after the 9:00 Mass. We will gather at the statue of the Blessed Mother.
- Each Sunday at 12:45pm, we pray a Bilingual Rosary with our parishioners from our English and Spanish Masses. This is an opportunity for our bilingual community to join in solidarity through the prayers that we share in common. All are invited. Bilingual handouts will be provided.
We now have the myParish cell phone app to help you stay connected with the Basilica throughout the week, and give you quick access to daily readings, prayers, homilies, parish staff, bulletins, calendar, and much more. Visit myparishapp.com on your phone or go to your phone's app store to download it. You can also send a text message to the number 88202 with the word app to receive a link to download the app.
We have added Groups to help various ministries communicate. To join a Group, you will need to install myParish app and then create a User Account (My Account option in the main menu). Then you can select the Groups and request to join any of the groups that apply to your ministry or interests.
Religious Education Classes for Age 3 - Grade 12 10:15-11:15am Sundays in the St. Dominic Building
Middle School and High School Youth Group 6:30-8:30pm Sundays at All Saints Academy
RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) 10:15-11:15am Sundays at All Saints Academy
NURSERY VOLUNTEERS AND DONATIONS NEEDED
In order to ensure a safe environment for our children, and in accord with state and diocesan policy, our nursery policy is that we have two adults in the nursery at all times. One of them is our paid staff member, but we are in need of volunteers to be the second person. The second person must be VIRTUS-trained and commit to being present. A sign-up sheet is in the nursery. In order for the nursery to open the following Sunday, someone will need to be signed up to volunteer for the 9am & 11:30 Masses by the end of Masses each Sunday. Each family who uses the nursery is asked to volunteer for at least one Mass per calendar quarter. There is also a donation box in the nursery to defray the $45 cost of keeping it staffed each Sunday. If we do not have your commitment, we will no longer be able to offer nursery services.
VIRTUS Training April 23
Parents and other adults who would like to participate in our youth programs are required to be certified under the VIRTUS program. Deacon Gaspar will be offering a VIRTUS class at the Basilica on Tuesday, April 23, from 5:30 – 8:30pm. You can register for this or any of the upcoming VIRTUS sessions at virtusonline.org (click here and select the Knoxville Diocese).