support the basilica
5:30 pm Sat. Vigil - Recited Novus Ordo Mass in English
9:00 am Sun. - Simple Sung Novus Ordo Mass in English with choir
11:30 am Sun. - Sung Novus Ordo Mass in English & Latin with schola, incense, ad orientem
1:30 pm Sun. - Sung Novus Ordo Misa en Español & Latin with choir, incense, ad orientem seasonally
5:00 pm 4th Sun. Missa Cantata, Usus Antiquior, sung in Latin with schola, incense, ad orientem
7:00 am Mon. - Recited Low Mass in the Usus Antiquior in Latin, ad orientem
7:00 am Wed. & Fri. - Recited Novus Ordo Mass in English
12:00 pm Mon. - Fri. - Recited Novus Ordo Mass in English
- Novus Ordo -“New Order” of Mass following the Second Vatican Council (2000 Missal)
- Usus Antiquior - The “more ancient use”; Traditional Latin Mass / Extraordinary Form (1962 Missal)
- ad orientem - Priest & people together face liturgical east; symbol of the Church awaiting Christ’s return in glory
The sacrament of Confession is available starting 30 minutes before each weekend Mass and each daily noon Mass, except Thursdays, and also by appointment.
Offered during the 9:00 & 11:30 Sunday Masses. Volunteers and donations needed.
prayer & adoration (outside of lent)
•Morning Prayer - after the 7am Mass on Mon/Wed/Fri
•Adoration - First Fridays following the Noon Mass until 5:30 pm Benediction, and continuing from 9pm - 7am
calendar of events
myParish appStay connected to the Basilica throughout the week through our myParish app. Search for myParish on the App Store or Google Play to download our app.
If you are not yet involved in one of our liturgical ministries - Altar Guild, Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, Lectors, Sacred Music, Sacristans, and Ushers/Greeters/Announcers - please consider the call to serve. Download our Liturgical Ministry Form or pick one up in the vestibule and turn it in to the parish office.
Upcoming Liturgy and Devotion Notices:
- Our next Missa Cantata in the ancient form is Sun., Jan. 27, at 5:00 pm.
- As we enter the new year, the Basilica invites you to commit to accompany Our Lord during the Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament. You may sign up for one or more half-hour periods in the vestibule. Our next First Friday Adoration will be Friday, February 1, from 12:30pm—5:30pm Benediction. Adoration will resume through the night from 9pm Friday—7am Sat., hosted by our Hispanic community. All are encouraged to attend.
- The Feast of the Presentation of the Lord on Feb. 2 is also Candlemas. We will have a sung bilingual Mass Saturday, Feb. 2, at 10:30am, with the traditional blessing of candles and procession.
- Sunday, Feb. 3, is the Feast of St. Blaise, patron saint of throat illnesses. We will offer a blessing of throats after our Sunday Masses and our 5:30 Vigil Mass, using the blessed candles.
- The church will now be open weekdays from 6am until the office closes at 4pm (with occasional exceptions for holidays), and you are invited to visit the Blessed Sacrament reserved in the Tabernacle. We would like to extend the open time, but we will need volunteer custodians to commit to remaining in the church in order to afford this opportunity. If you are interested in this, call the parish office.
On Monday, January 21st, the parish office will be closed for the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. The church will still be open for Masses at 7am and noon.
- In accord with Bishop Stika, on Fridays at 7am and noon, the Basilica will offer the Votive Mass of the Sacred Heart of Jesus for the reparation of sins against the Church. Mass will conclude with the recitation of an Act of Reparation to the Sacred Heart of Jesus by the assembly. This will be the Mass offered every Friday, except when it is superseded by a feast day.
RENOVATED SANCTUARY IS OPEN FOR MASS
Many thanks to ALL our volunteers! We have re-opened the renovated church for Masses beginning December 15-16!
CALENDAR OF UPCOMING MINISTRY EVENTS
The Women’s Ministries brings several groups together within our parish for a variety of events. Please join us for a planning meeting to discuss the many Lenten events, and how we may help spiritually and then physically. We will meet on Saturday, January 26th, in Varallo Parish Hall from 10:00-11:00 am. All ladies of the parish are welcome!
The Catholic Motherhood ministry is now offering a study for moms of all ages, entitled, “Momnipotent," facilitated by Sandy Pricer, on the last Tuesday of each month. We will not meet in December. The next study will be on January 29th from 7-9:30pm. Please bring a snack or drink to share. Contact Rachel Wesson with any questions or to be added to the Catholic Motherhood Group email list.
Deacon’s Table - Dcn. Tom McConnell recently launched “The Deacon’s Table.” It will unfold in the next sessions, as he describes his “Road to Rome”… from Protestantism to Catholicism... The group meets on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month from 10:15-11:15am in the parish office Mahoney Conference Room. The next meeting is Feb. 3rd.
Eat Smart for your Heart Event - The Fisher and Dempsey families are bringing the feature documentary “Forks Over Knives” to Varallo Parish Hall on Sat. Feb. 9th from 10 am-12 pm. Join us to learn about a healthier lifestyle through a plant-based diet. Refreshments and finger foods to sample will be served during the movie. RSVP to Becky Dempsey at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Catholic Motherhood ministry is studying Scott Hahn’s book: The First Society: The Sacrament of Matrimony and the Restoration of the Social Order, which can be ordered on amazon.com. The next meeting will be Tuesday, Feb. 12th, from 10-11:30am in Varallo Parish Hall. All mothers are welcome, and a nursery will be available.
The Lord is calling us to conversion! Evenings of Formation (formerly “Evenings of Recollection”) offer us the opportunity for the grace of the Sacrament of Reconciliation, Adoration and the inspirational writings of the Saints, all wrapped in a time of peace and quiet away from distractions and noise. We also have a short discussion after the meeting to allow time for sharing and fellowship. The next opportunity for women is Wed., Feb. 13th from 7pm - 9pm. The theme for this evening will be the great Doctor of the church, St. Teresa of Avila. Men will meet on Wed., Mar. 13th. For more information, call Dan and Nancy Fisher: 423-803-0257 land line.
SPANISH Language Class - Ready to start learning Spanish? We have a new volunteer in the parish who has volunteered to teach Spanish classes! We hope to begin sometime in February. For more information, contact our new teacher, Armando Sedeño: 423-208-1011 or email@example.com.
Lay Oblates of St. Benedict - St. Benedict is known as the Father of Western (European) Monasticism. But his spirituality of prayer and work is valid for even the layman who lives in the world. Our new chapter of Lay Oblates of St. Benedict focuses on applying the Rule of St. Benedict to our lives, learning to pray the Scriptures through lectio divina and offering the Liturgy of the Hours in praise of God. We are now meeting on the third Sunday of each month from 5-6:30pm in Varallo Parish Hall. The next meeting will be on Feb. 17. To find out more, please call the parish office or contact Daniel Sharkey at 877-3239.
Our Book Club meets from 7:40-8:25am Wednesdays in Varallo Parish Hall and is always open to newcomers. On January 9, we began a new book, Reclaiming Catholic Social Teaching, by Antholy Esolen.
Natural Family Planning Classes! - We now have a Couple-to-Couple League NFP teaching couple at the Basilica! Watch our Marriage page under Sacraments for NFP class opportunities.
PLEASE JOIN IN PRAYER
- A Rosary will be prayed in English after the 9:00 Mass. We will gather at the statue of the Blessed Mother.
- Each Sunday at 12:45pm, we pray a Bilingual Rosary with our parishioners from our English and Spanish Masses. This is an opportunity for our bilingual community to join in solidarity through the prayers that we share in common. All are invited. Bilingual handouts will be provided.
We now have the myParish cell phone app to help you stay connected with the Basilica throughout the week, and give you quick access to daily readings, prayers, homilies, parish staff, bulletins, calendar, and much more. Visit myparishapp.com on your phone or go to your phone's app store to download it. You can also send a text message to the number 88202 with the word app to receive a link to download the app.
We have added Groups to help various ministries communicate. To join a Group, you will need to install myParish app and then create a User Account (My Account option in the main menu). Then you can select the Groups and request to join any of the groups that apply to your ministry or interests.
Religious Education Classes for Age 3 - Grade 12 10:15-11:15am Sundays in the St. Dominic Building
Middle School and High School Youth Group 6:30-8:30pm Sundays at All Saints Academy
RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) 10:15-11:15am Sundays at All Saints Academy
Join in welcoming RCIA candidates and catechumens.
- On Sunday, Jan. 13, we will celebrate the Rite of Welcome for our RCIA candidates and catechumens at the 9:00 and 1:30 Masses. Please join in praying for them as they commit to pursuing the Sacraments of Initiation.
- We are still in need of more people to serve as sponsors. Even if you cannot commit to being a sponsor, we also need people willing to stand with someone for the rites coming up. For more information, please contact Terry Jones or Dan Pacitti (see front cover of bulletin for info).
NURSERY VOLUNTEERS AND DONATIONS NEEDED
In order to ensure a safe environment for our children, and in accord with state and diocesan policy, our nursery policy is that we have two adults in the nursery at all times. One of them is our paid staff member, but we are in need of volunteers to be the second person. The second person must be VIRTUS-trained and commit to being present. A sign-up sheet is in the nursery. In order for the nursery to open the following Sunday, someone will need to be signed up to volunteer for the 9am & 11:30 Masses by the end of Masses each Sunday. Each family who uses the nursery is asked to volunteer for at least one Mass per calendar quarter. There is also a donation box in the nursery to defray the $45 cost of keeping it staffed each Sunday. If we do not have your commitment, we will no longer be able to offer nursery services.
VIRTUS Training February 5
Parents and other adults who would like to participate in our youth programs are required to be certified under the VIRTUS program. Deacon Gaspar will be offering a VIRTUS class at the Basilica on Tuesday, February 5, from 5:30 – 8:30pm. You can register for this or any of the upcoming VIRTUS sessions at virtusonline.org (click here and select the Knoxville Diocese).