Announcements and Church News
For archived PDF copies of our bulletins Click Here
- Missa Cantata for 2nd Sun. of Lent - 5pm Sun. Feb. 25, followed by 6:30pm Basilica Potluck
- Adoration Fridays from 12:30pm-5:30pm and 7:30pm-7am
- Vespers (Evening Prayer) 5:45pm Wed & Fri
- Stations of the Cross 6pm Wed & Fri (Children's Stations on 2/21 and 3/14)
- Lenten Dinner 6:30pm Fridays - hosted by Knights of Columbus Council 610 - bring canned food and donations for the rice bowl!
HOLY WEEK schedule:
- Wednesday 3/28 - 5:45pm Vespers, 6pm Stations, and 6:30 pm Seder Meal (RSVP by March 22)
- Holy Thursday 3/29 - 6:30pm Holy Thursday Mass (Bilingual), Adoration until Midnight
- Good Friday 3/30 - 1-3pm Confessions, 3pm Stations (Bilingual), 6:30pm The Passion of the Lord Liturgy (Bilingual)
- Holy Saturday 3/30 - 8:30 pm Easter Vigil Mass (Bilingual)
- Easter Sunday 4/1 - 9am & 11:30am English Masses, 1:30pm Spanish Mass
MOVIEGUIDE® Presentation by Dr. Ted Baehr
5:30 pm Sun., March 4 in Varallo Parish Hall
This one-hour seminar enables you to teach children to be media-wise, helps you understand the wide influence of the mass media, and shows you how to redeem the industry.
Dr. Ted Baehr is Chairman of the Christian Film and Television Commission. His Movieguide® organization professionally analyzes and rates movies and shows according to quality and moral acceptability standards. Their website, movieguide.org, is a true gift to all who wish to see well-produced movies with good content that will not disturb them.
* Entertaining presentation for adults and teens
* Family-friendly movie in the nursery for children
* Pizza and soft drinks provided
If you are not yet involved in one of our liturgical ministries - Altar Guild, Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, Lectors, Sacred Music, Sacristans, and Ushers/Greeters/Announcers - please consider the call to serve. Download our Liturgical Ministry Form or pick one up in the vestibule and turn it in to the parish office.
We are blessed with a large group of people who will be coming into full communion with the Church at Easter Vigil. Our new Welcoming Ministry is looking for volunteers to put together “Welcome Home” baskets for them. The committee would be responsible for figuring out gifts for the new Catholics and soliciting donations to cover them, though there is a small budget set aside for this effort. If you are interested in this Lenten service project, contact Shannon Hinson (call or text 423-991-8352) or leave a message with the parish office.
Because we are blessed with a large number of inquirers, RCIA will be in Varallo Parish Hall until Pentecost. That means that BACON 2018 will have to be delayed until then for lack of space. But fret not! The RCIA experience is a great opportunity for those already Catholic to learn about the faith as well. Join us any Sunday after the 9 AM Mass. Click here for the schedule of topics, which will also be posted in the vestibule.
On Tuesday evening, Feb. 27,, our Catholic Motherhood ministry will have a Mom’s Night Out meeting at Rembrandt's Cafe instead of the church.
On Tuesday, Mar. 13, the Catholic Motherhood ministry will meet from 10-11:30am in Varallo Parish Hall to study the book, "The Power of Silence" by Cardinal Sarah. A nursery will be available for the morning meeting. All mothers of all ages are welcome to both events.
Deacon Gaspar will be offering a VIRTUS class at the Basilica on Tues, Feb. 27 from 1-4pm in the St. Dominic Building. You can register for this or any of the upcoming "Protecting God's Children" classes through the Diocese of Knoxville website (dioknox.org). Follow the links under “Safe Environment.”
We are starting a new Book Study on Wednesdays at 7:40am in Varallo Parish Hall, beginning Feb. 28. We will be studying Lord of the World by Robert Hugh Benson. We will be using the edition with ISBN # 1587314711. Call the parish office for more information.
On Sat., March 3, the Basilica is pleased to welcome a guest choir to our 5:30 Vigil Mass. The Liturgical Choir of NC State Catholic Campus Ministry, directed by Jeff Rice, sings on Sundays at the Holy Name of Jesus Cathedral in Raleigh, NC, and they will sing for us before singing at our newly dedicated Cathedral in Knoxville the following day.
A monthly Evening of Recollection is offered at the Basilica. The evenings, led by a Basilica priest, include Adoration, confessions, a meditation on the writings of St. Josemaria Escrivá, and spiritual fellowship. Evenings are from 7-9pm and begin in the church. The next dates are Mar. 7 for Men and Mar. 14 for Women. For details, contact Dan and Nancy Fisher or the parish office.
Our That Man is You group meets on Saturdays at 7am in Varallo Parish Hall.
The Knights of Columbus are collecting canned food this Lent. Please bring donations to the marked box in the vestibule.
A Spanish class has started on Wednesdays from 5pm to 6:30pm beginning January 10 in the Religious Education building. There is no fee for the class but those interested must register by calling the parish office.
- Due to the flu outbreak and strong recommendations from area health officials, Bishop Stika is directing all parishes in the Diocese of Knoxville to suspend the distribution of the Precious Blood at Holy Communion until further notice. If you need a low-gluten host, please come through the priest’s line at Communion and let the priest know.
- If you suffer from Celiac disease or another severe gluten allergy, a chalice of the Precious Blood is going to be prepared. Indicate that to the priest celebrant at Communion time, and he will administer the Sacrament to you.
- Upon the Bishop’s recommendation about preventing the spread of germs, we will also be suspending the sign of peace during the flu season.
Please take the time to fill out this quick survey put together in consultation with the Parish Pastoral Council so that we can better plan for the future here at Sts. Peter and Paul.
We are in need of donations for altar flowers. Please consider being a supporter of the Basilica's apostolate of beauty. Maybe you want to honor a family member, a birthday, or an anniversary! Contact the parish office for details.
Religious Education Classes for Age 3 - Grade 12 10:15-11:15am Sundays in the St. Dominic Building
Middle School and High School Youth Group 5:30-7:30pm most Sundays at All Saints Academy (contact Debbie Cliche for full calendar)
RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) 10:15-11:15am Sundays in Varallo Parish Hall
Starting OCTOBER 1, our parish will start praying for those in RCIA by sending the RCIA Rosary to a different home each week. Praying for those who have come to the doors of the Church seeking to learn more about Jesus through His Church is a responsibility and privilege of the laity. The RCIA Rosary will be presented to a family, couple, or individual each Sunday at the conclusion of the Mass you attend. You will take the Rosary home and use it as a focal point while praying daily for those in RCIA and those assisting those on the journey of faith. In successive weeks, the Rosary is passed to other homes. Sign up in the vestibule!
Incense for Upcoming Weekends and Holy Days
See our article, The Use of Incense in the Mass, for more information.