Announcements and Church News
For archived PDF copies of our bulletins Click Here
WATCH LIVE MASSES, prayers, and other events at the Basilica HERE on our Facebook page. (You do not need a Facebook account.)
Check out our priests' recent homilies on our HOMILIES page.
BASILICA CORONAVIRUS MEASURES -
Out of concern for health, Bishop Stika has temporarily suspended public Masses throughout the Diocese of Knoxville. (Read Bishop Stika's announcement here.)
While public Masses are suspended during the coronavirus outbreak, and Chattanooga is under a shelter-in-place order, the church will remain open during the day outside of Mass times. Masses and Liturgy of the Hours are being live-streamed daily on the Basilica Facebook page. It is not necessary to have a Facebook account to view the live-streams. See the schedule below, and please check here for schedule updates.
An Act of Spiritual Communion may be prayed at times when it is not possible to receive the Sacrament physically.
CURRENT SCHEDULE except Holy Week:
- 8:00 am - English Novus Ordo Mass
- 9:30 am - Spanish Novus Ordo Mass
- 11:00 am - Ancient form Missa Cantata in Latin
- 12:30 - 6:00 pm - Church will be open for prayer
- 7:00 am Mon/Wed/Fri
- 12:00 pm Mon-Fri - Mass in the closed rectory chapel
- 7:45 am - 5:30 pm Mon-Sat - Church will be open for prayer
HOLY WEEK SPECIAL SCHEDULEPalm Sunday and Easter Sunday (April 5 and 12) -
- 8:00 am - English Novus Ordo Mass
- 10:00 am - Spanish Novus Ordo Mass
- 12:00 pm - Ancient form Missa Cantata in Latin
- 1:30 - 6:00 pm - Church will be open for prayer
- Holy Thursday Mass - 6:30 pm
- Good Friday Liturgy - 3:00 pm (church will be open from 7:45 am - 2:00 pm on Good Friday)
- Holy Sat. Easter Vigil - 9:00 pm
HOLY WEEK RESOURCE TO FOLLOW THE LITURGIES:English: "A Journey through Holy Week for Families" offers a resource guide that leads you from Palm Sunday to Easter with readings, reflections, prayers, songs, and activities.
Español: "Un viaje a través de la Semana Santa para las familias" ofrece una guía de recursos que lo lleva del Domingo de Ramos a la Pascua con lecturas, reflexiones, oraciones, canciones y actividades.
Palm Sunday Missa Cantata: Readings and Propers (the 12pm Mass will use a different translation of the Passion; see below).
WAYS TO GIVE AND RECEIVE HELP DURING THE PANDEMIC
- Chattanooga Community Kitchen provides food service for the homeless and the poor. They are seeking volunteers to serve meals daily during the crisis (one-hour shifts at 7am, 11:30am, and 3:30pm). They also request donations of money and supplies.
- Our Basilica parish partners with the St. Vincent de Paul Society based at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church. To assist them with their work in supporting and visiting the poor, call 423-999-6332. (Also, our next quarterly food drive at the Basilica will be May 2-3, with food dropoff in the vestibule)
- Our Basilica parish supports the Ladies of Charity, which runs the Greater Good Thrift Shop on Rossville Blvd. and provides direct financial assistance to the poor. The Thrift Shop is currently closed. Contact Jan Clark at (423) 313-7348.
- St. Alexius Outreach Ministries is involved with visiting and shopping for homebound seniors. If you would like to volunteer, contact Susan Chill at (423) 718-2959.
- The Chattanooga Area Food Bank is in desperate need of volunteers.
- 40 Cans for 40 Days: KOC Council #610 is sponsoring their 4th Annual Lenten Food Drive to benefit the Chattanooga Area Food Bank. Please bring non-perishable food items and place them in the basket located in the church vestibule beginning on Ash Wednesday, Feb. 26 through Good Friday, April 10.
- Help Hamilton County Schools provide meals to needy children who are out of school
- Calling our fellow parishioners to check in on their well-being, pray with them, and help us stay connected while we can't see each other at church! To volunteer to make phone calls, please contact the parish office.
- Catholic Charities of East Tennessee is offering "Telehealth" online counseling for mental health needs during the coronavirus pandemic - See list of counselors
FORMED, a rich program of online Catholic resources offered by the Augustine Institute, is now available to Basilica parishioners!
FORMED has resources tailored to this time of social distancing, including Living out the Mission at home and special collections of programs for Mass at Home, Faith at Home, School at Home and Pray at Home.
RCIA AND PARISH INVOLVEMENT
- The names and photos of our English RCIA candidates are on a board in the vestibule. Please take a look at the RCIA board and pray for our candidates.
- Please consider writing letters to our candidates, to be included in the Welcome Basket they will receive, and turn them in to the parish office.
- Since we cannot gather together at the Easter Vigil, our RCIA candidates will be received into the Church later this year.
- Contact Dan Pacitti at firstname.lastname@example.org or 865-335-3076 for more information.
Kitchen, Clothing, Children’s, Household/Decor, Linens and Miscellaneous
Are you pursuing worldly detachment this Lenten season? Working to store up treasures in heaven rather than on earth? Join in a community swap meet! Save your gently used, sorted household items in good repair to bring to Varallo Parish Hall. Items will be FREE to those in the parish and community who have a need. Any items not selected will be donated to Ladies of Charity. Volunteers and questions: Text 804-387-6231
REGISTER HERE FOR OUR 2019-20 PROGRAMS -
While in-person classes and meetings are currently suspended, you can still get involved in the following programs by registering, communicating with the program director, and participating in virtual meetings that are being set up:Religious Education Classes for Age 3 - Grade 12 10:15-11:15am Sundays in the St. Dominic RE Building. Class attendance is required for the Sacraments of First Holy Communion and Confirmation. Classes are currently suspended.
Middle School and High School Youth Group 6:30-8:30pm Sundays in the St. Dominic RE Building. Currently hosting virtual meetings.
RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) 10:15-11:15am Sundays in Varallo Parish Hall - If you are interested in exploring the Catholic faith, or know someone who is, please contact Dan Pacitti at email@example.com or 865-335-3076. Meetings are currently suspended.Catholic Scouting at the Basilica
American Heritage Girls and Trail Life USA boys are meeting Mondays from 7pm to 8:30. Meetings at the parish are currently suspended. Contact Terrance Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Connie Holub (email@example.com)!
CALENDAR OF UPCOMING MINISTRY EVENTS - Below are regular scheduled activities. Please note that all parish activities are currently suspended during the coronavirus outbreak.
Our Catholic Motherhood ministry normally meets on the second Tues. of each month and the last Wednesday evening of the month. Meetings are currently suspended, but online communication and meetings are still being scheduled. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to be added to the Catholic Motherhood email list.
Our Book Club meets from 7:40-8:45am Wednesdays in Varallo Parish Hall and is always open to newcomers. Meetings are currently suspended, but we will soon begin Dante’s Inferno (The Divine Comedy): translation by Anthony Esolen, available on amazon.com. Contact JuliAnna Hills at 931-581-7527 or email@example.com for more info.
Lay Oblates of St. Benedict - St. Benedict is known as the Father of Western (European) Monasticism. But his spirituality of prayer and work is valid for even the layman who lives in the world. Our chapter of Lay Oblates of St. Benedict focuses on applying the Rule of St. Benedict to our lives, learning to pray the Scriptures through lectio divina and offering the Liturgy of the Hours in praise of God. We normally meet on the third Sunday of each month from 5-6:30pm in the church. Meetings are currently suspended.To find out more, please contact Jason Richard at 423-432-7196.
The Deacon’s Table, hosted by Dcn. Tom and Brenda McConnell, meets every Sunday from 10:15-11:15am in Varallo Parish Hall. Meetings are currently suspended. On Feb. 2nd we launched an 8-part DVD series by Jeff Cavins on “The Activated Disciple”. In preparation, you are strongly encouraged to purchase Jeff’s book entitled “The Activated Disciple…Taking Your Faith to the Next Level”, published by Ascension Press. You can also purchase his book, “The Activated Disciple Challenge” to follow along the DVD series. Contact Dcn. Tom for further information.
- “Catholic Chatt” meets Sunday evenings and also Monday ladies' & men's night and Tuesday taco nights. We do not belong to one parish but rather are a combination of all congregations in the Chattanooga area. Join our Facebook Group to keep posted on our activities. Contact Jonah Coronis, Basilica parishioner, at 423-424-8618 or firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about the group.
- Young Couples Ministry (married, engaged, or dating): Contact Amelia & Doug Weissman at email@example.com to get involved!
We are in need of donations for altar flowers. Please consider being a supporter of the Basilica's apostolate of beauty. Maybe you want to honor a family member, a birthday, or an anniversary! Contact the parish office for details.
Visit Jerusalem, Galilee, Capernaum, Bethlehem, Thessalonki, Kalambaka, Phillippi, Kavala, Meteora, Delphi, Corinth, Athens, Piraeus, Mykonos, Kusadasi, Ephesus, Patmos, and Santorini. Cost is $4,999 (Airfare included from anywhere in the US) with a $500 deposit required to secure a spot. Tour Brochures are in the parish office. Contact: Jennifer Wadsworth of Pro Catholic Tours at (612)-730-2890/ firstname.lastname@example.org.
PHOTOS OF PAST EVENTS
Photos from our Easter Vigil Mass 2019, by Robin Rudd We had 58 people receiving sacraments of initiation!
Photos from Holy Thursday and Good Friday 2019, by Christina Bankson
Catholic Late Night is a YouTube show by Overt TV, with the goal to counter the bombardment of internet distraction, pornography, and sin at every turn in our culture. They focus on helping young people understand their purpose in life and the meaning of their sexuality, through the lens of the Catholic faith. The show is produced by Patrick Hanus, a graduate of the Franciscan University of Steubenville and Basilica parishioner. The show airs on YouTube Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10pm. Check out Catholic Late Night here!
We now have the myParish cell phone app to help you stay connected with the Basilica throughout the week, and give you quick access to daily readings, prayers, homilies, parish staff, bulletins, calendar, and much more. Visit myparishapp.com on your phone or go to your phone's app store to download it. You can also send a text message to the number 88202 with the word app to receive a link to download the app.
We have added Groups to help various ministries communicate. To join a Group, you will need to install myParish app and then create a User Account (My Account option in the main menu). Then you can select the Groups and request to join any of the groups that apply to your ministry or interests.
Help for our Hispanic Immigrant Families
Thanks to all those who are “on standby” to help! Please pray for our immigrant community.
Update December 22, 2020: Following the loss of access to All Saints Academy, we are grateful to have found and purchased a building on 23rd Street to house our growing Hispanic ministry activities. Thanks to all who helped the parish discern a solution for our space needs.
Corpus Christi Procession - June 23 at 1pm
Sunday, June 23 is the Solemnity of Corpus Christi, the Most Holy Body and Blood of Jesus Christ. We will celebrate First Holy Communion at our 11:30 Mass and our 1:30 Spanish Mass. We will have Adoration after the 11:30 Mass, followed by our 6th annual Corpus Christi procession from the Basilica through the surrounding streets at 1pm. All are invited to join in this traditional expression of our faith in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. Here is a video highlighting scenes from our past procession.
WEDDING WISDOM from Fr. Carter, Pastor
* The Basilica parish community is forming an "Underground Railroad" of homes to help engaged people avoid or leave the situation of cohabitation prior to marriage. If you are interested in offering a room in your home to an engaged person for a short period, in support of chastity and sacramental marriage, please contact the parish office.
POSTPONED (date TBA) - The Mass: Across the Ages - Mozart Coronation Mass, Misa Criolla in Spanish, and more - with Chattanooga Girls Choir, McCallie Boys Choir, Voci Virili, Voice of Reason - donations accepted to benefit our historic Basilica "Under One Roof".
GET INVOLVED AT THE BASILICA!
Find out all the good things we are doing as well as the challenges and opportunities to join and serve!
- Liturgical Ministry Appeal January 2020
If you are not yet involved in one of our liturgical ministries - Altar Guild, Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, Lectors, Sacred Music, Sacristans, and Ushers/Greeters/Announcers - please consider the call to serve. Fill out our Liturgical Ministry Form or pick one up in the vestibule and turn it in to the parish office.
— including Fr. Carter’s 2019 State of the Parish address —
- 2020 Calendar of Anticipated Events at the Basilica (Note that cancellations due to coronavirus are not reflected in this calendar.)
VIRTUS Training -
All adults who participate in our youth programs are required to be VIRTUS certified. Classes are currently suspended due to the Bishop's directives to suspend all meetings in the diocese. When classes resume, the date will be posted here. You can also check for upcoming VIRTUS sessions at virtusonline.org (click here and select the Knoxville Diocese).