Announcements and Church News
For archived PDF copies of our bulletins Click Here
FORMED, a rich program of online Catholic resources offered by the Augustine Institute, is now available to Basilica parishioners!
The Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul invites you to join us for our
Save the dates on your calendar! The next event is:
Sun., Nov. 10 at 5:00 pm - Requiem Choral Concert by Gloria Dei Schola, to benefit Food for the Poor.
Our Second Annual CHRISTMAS PAGEANT will be Sat., Dec. 28 at 6:30pm, sponsored by our Religious Education program. All are invited to attend the pageant and dinner in Varallo Parish Hall! Contact Jo Schendel or Danielle Stradley for more information.
Thanks to all who have auditioned. Most of the roles have been cast, but there are still a few more to fill!
CAST LIST for 2019 Christmas Pageant (released 9/30/19)
Religious Education Classes for Age 3 - Grade 12 10:15-11:15am Sundays in the St. Dominic Building. Class attendance is required for the Sacraments of First Holy Communion and Confirmation.
Middle School and High School Youth Group 6:30-8:30pm Sundays at All Saints Academy
RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) 10:15-11:15am Sundays in Varallo Parish Hall
American Heritage Girls and Trail Life USA boys are meeting Mondays from 7pm to 8:30. You are welcome to join us for one meeting before officially joining. Parents should plan to stay with child unless they have officially joined. Contact Terrance Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Connie Holub (email@example.com) today!
RCIA has begun again. If you are interested in exploring the Catholic faith, or know someone who is, please contact Dan Pacitti at firstname.lastname@example.org or 865-335-3076.
RCIA requires the involvement of the parish at several levels. Right now, the team is in need of volunteers who would be willing to be a sponsor (befriend someone in the process and provide additional companionship on the journey) as well as folks who would be interested in presenting an aspect of the faith in class (Mary, Confession, The Saints, Devotions, anything—). Before you say “I don’t know enough,” know that the RCIA team in there to support you and both sponsoring and presenting are excellent ways to deepen your own faith. Please consider volunteering in either capacity (or both); we also need folks willing to provide refreshments for class. Contact Dan Pacitti to volunteer. Many hands make light—and rewarding—work!
VIRTUS Training October 16
All adults who participate in our youth programs are required to be VIRTUS certified. Deacon Gaspar will be offering a VIRTUS class at the Basilica on Wednesday, October 16, from 5:30 – 8:30pm. Our next session will be Tuesday, December 3, from 5:30 - 8:30pm. You can register for any of the upcoming VIRTUS sessions at virtusonline.org (click here and select the Knoxville Diocese).
- “Catholic Chatt” meets Sunday evenings and also Monday ladies' & men's night and Tuesday taco nights. We do not belong to one parish but rather are a combination of all congregations in the Chattanooga area. Join our Facebook Group to keep posted on our activities.
- Young Couples Ministry (married, engaged, or dating): Contact Christina & Andrew Bankson at email@example.com to get involved!
- Young Catholic Singles (ages 18-35): Join us First Fridays at the Basilica for prayer and community. Adoration concludes with Benediction at 5:30pm. Prayer and social time to follow. The next meeting is November 1. Hope to see you there! Join our Facebook Group! firstname.lastname@example.org 860-502-2458
- National Catholic Singles Conference - Oct 25th-27th - Join hundreds of single Catholics from across the country at The Diocese of Nashville Catholic Pastoral Center. Includes talks by dynamic speakers (Sr. Helena Burns, Dr. Kerry Cronin, Damon Owens, and David Clayton) as well as music, social events, prayer, food, fellowship and more. Space is limited so register now! Enter promo code NASH19 for a $20 discount. For more info and to register, visit www.NationalCatholicSingles.com or call 512-766-5798.
Upcoming Liturgy and Devotion Notices:
- All Saints Day (Holy Day of Obligation) Fri. Nov. 1 -
7am Spoken Mass
Noon Sung Mass
12:30-5:30pm First Friday Adoration
6:30pm Multilingual Sung Mass
7:30pm All Saints Procession & Reception*
9pm-7am First Friday Adoration
- * ALL SAINTS RECEPTION - All adults and youth are invited to enjoy a reception in Varallo Parish Hall on Nov. 1 after the 6:30pm Mass. Youth may wear their saint costumes to Mass and in procession to the reception, and they will receive bags of candy!
- All Souls Day Sat. Nov. 2 -
1pm Low Mass in the ancient form
3pm Mass at Mount Olivet Cemetery
- The Basilica invites you to commit to accompany Our Lord during the Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament. You may sign up for one or more half-hour periods in the vestibule. Our next First Friday Adoration will be Friday, November 1st, from 12:30pm—5:30pm Benediction. Adoration will resume through the night from 9pm Friday—7am Sat., hosted by our Hispanic community. All are encouraged to attend.
- Our next parish celebration of the Sacrament of Baptism, normally on the 2nd Saturday, is on Saturday, November 9th, at 10:30 am. All are welcome to come and witness!
- Our next Missa Cantata in the ancient form will be Sun., October 27, at 5:00 pm, to celebrate the Kingship of Jesus Christ. English and Spanish translations will be provided.
Also join us October 27 for our Fourth Sunday Basilica potluck at 6:30 pm! We ask that each family bring TWO or THREE dishes to ensure plenty of food for our large families and visitors. SIGN UP HERE to coordinate which dishes you will bring.
Many people feel uncomfortable and lost when they come to the Latin Mass. We need to reach out to welcome people and share with them our Joy of Tradition! Please contact Maria Rist to VOLUNTEER AS A GREETER. Thank you!
- The church is now open weekdays from 6am until the office closes at 4pm (with occasional exceptions for holidays), and you are invited to visit the Blessed Sacrament reserved in the Tabernacle. We would like to extend the open time, but we will need volunteer VIRTUS-certified custodians to commit to remaining in the church in order to afford this opportunity. If you are interested in this, call the parish office.
- In accord with Bishop Stika, on Fridays at 7am and noon, the Basilica will offer the Votive Mass of the Sacred Heart of Jesus for the reparation of sins against the Church. Mass will conclude with the recitation of an Act of Reparation to the Sacred Heart of Jesus by the assembly. This will be the Mass offered every Friday, except when it is superseded by a feast day.
CALENDAR OF UPCOMING MINISTRY EVENTS
Our Catholic Motherhood Morning Meeting is normally on the second Tues. of each month. Because of fall break, the next meeting will be Tues., Oct. 15, from 10-11:30am in Varallo Parish Hall. We are now reading Made This Way: How to Prepare Kids to Face Today's Tough Moral Issues, by Leila Miller and Trent Horn (available on amazon.com).
Catholic Motherhood invites all mothers for our Wednesday Mom's Night Out, normally the last Wednesday of the month, but this month it will be at 7pm Oct. 23, at Rembrandt’s Coffee House. Contact email@example.com with any questions or to be added to the Catholic Motherhood email list.
Our Book Club meets from 7:40-8:45am Wednesdays in Varallo Parish Hall and is always open to newcomers. On October 2, we began studying a new book, The Apostasy That Wasn’t: The Extraordinary Story of the Unbreakable Early Church, by Basilica parishioner and recent convert, Rod Bennett. The book is available on amazon.com. Contact JuliAnna Hills at 931-581-7527 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Lay Oblates of St. Benedict - St. Benedict is known as the Father of Western (European) Monasticism. But his spirituality of prayer and work is valid for even the layman who lives in the world. Our chapter of Lay Oblates of St. Benedict focuses on applying the Rule of St. Benedict to our lives, learning to pray the Scriptures through lectio divina and offering the Liturgy of the Hours in praise of God. We normally meet on the third Sunday of each month from 5-6:30pm in Varallo Parish Hall. The next meeting will be on October 20. To find out more, please contact Jason Richard at 423-432-7196.
The Deacon’s Table, hosted by Dcn. Tom and Brenda McConnell, meets every Sunday from 10:15-11:15am in the parish office. Come join us!
Evening of Formation with the Saints - The next Men's Evening of Formation is Wednesday, Oct. 30th from 7-9pm. The theme will be St. Francis of Assisi. The next Women's Evening of Formation is Wednesday, Nov. 13th, from 7-9pm. Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, confession, formation and fellowship await you. Come and bring a friend! Contact Dan or Nancy Fisher through the parish office for more information.
SPANISH Language Class - Ready to start learning Spanish? This fall we will be resuming Spanish classes on Wednesdays at 6pm in the St. Dominic Building. For more information, contact our teacher, Armando Sedeño, through the parish office, or email@example.com.
PHOTOS OF RECENT EVENTS
Photos from our Easter Vigil Mass 2019, by Robin Rudd We had 58 people receiving sacraments of initiation!
Photos from Holy Thursday and Good Friday 2019, by Christina Bankson
Catholic Late Night is a YouTube show by Overt TV, with the goal to counter the bombardment of internet distraction, pornography, and sin at every turn in our culture. They focus on helping young people understand their purpose in life and the meaning of their sexuality, through the lens of the Catholic faith. The show is produced by Patrick Hanus, a graduate of the Franciscan University of Steubenville and Basilica parishioner. The show airs on YouTube Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10pm. Check out Catholic Late Night here!
PLEASE JOIN IN PRAYER
- Archbishop Joseph Kurtz of the Archdiocese of Louisville, who was Bishop of our diocese for nine years and President of the USCCB, has been diagnosed with a serious cancer and will be receiving treatment at Duke University through the end of October. He is suffering ill health but is optimistic. He has asked for our prayers, and we will be offering a Mass each week for him.
Bishop Stika statement on Archbishop Kurtz
- A Rosary will be prayed in English after the 9:00 Mass. We will gather at the statue of the Blessed Mother.
- Each Sunday at 12:45pm, we pray a Bilingual Rosary with our parishioners from our English and Spanish Masses. This is an opportunity for our bilingual community to join in solidarity through the prayers that we share in common. All are invited. Bilingual handouts will be provided.
AROUND THE DIOCESE
Recover me, Recover faith, Recover family: A retreat for Catholic women with family members with addictions - Oct. 18-20, 2019 at Bethany Retreat House in Dickson, TN. Visit jeanheaton.com/events/ for details and to register.
The Legion of Mary, Diocese of Knoxville, Our Lady of Guadalupe Curia invites all adult men, women, priests and religious to join us for a day retreat, “The Mystical Rose,” on Sat., Oct. 19th, from 9am-3:30pm at St. Mary’s Church, 1291 E. Madison Ave., Athens, TN. Cost is $30 and includes book- “The Mystical Rose,” and lunch. Mass at 9:30am. Talks by: Rev. Dr. John Arthur Orr of St. Mary’s, Very Rev. J. David Carter, JCL, of the Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul, and Dcn. John Armeise of St. John Neumann. Register by Oct.9th. Forms are in the church entry and in the parish office.