St. Martha Altar Guild
The Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul is blessed with an abundance of beauty glorifying God in his Church. The stained glass windows, the Stations of the Cross, and the Sanctuary and Altar are an apostolate of beauty - a visible sign of faith to all who enter, worship, and receive the Sacraments.
Preservation and daily care of the Basilica is an apostolate in itself. It is a necessary, yet prayer-filled opportunity to become closely united with the Sacraments, especially the Most Blessed Sacrament of the Altar.
The Saint Martha Altar Guild is compromised of parishioners who wish to care for the vestures of the altar to make it ready for the Most Blessed of Sacraments, the Holy Eucharist. It is part of an unbroken tradition reaching back to the faithful women who provided for Jesus during his lifetime. Mark 15: 40-41~ Matthew 27:55
Members of the guild recognize St. Martha because of her practical life of active service and because she was among the first to recognize Jesus as the Messiah. John 11:7-29
As hostess to our Lord Jesus and servant to his care, the guild implores the intercession of St. Martha, as patroness of those who care for the needs of the altar at the Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul.
Saint Martha, pray for us that we might serve Jesus better. Help us to overcome our distractions and worries to listen to His words and be present to Him this day. Amen.
What does the altar guild do?
- provides for the proper care and cleansing of altar linens, vestments, albs, and other vestures including washing, stain removing, ironing, sewing, repairing, dry cleaning, etc.
- serves to provide for the proper care of the altar candles, vigil candles, holy water fonts, and altar flowers.
- coordinates among guild members to pick up used linens in the sacristy following Mass 2-3 times a week and return those linens to the sacristy or parish office in a timely manner.
- works in conjunction with the rector and sacristans to ensure that the textile accruements necessary for the celebration of the Holy Eucharist are correctly prepared and presented, including those for funerals (pall) and weddings (kneeler cover).
- members are encouraged to meet monthly in order to plan the needs for monthly and seasonal settings, including the decoration of the altar at Christmas and Easter.
Interested in joining the Altar Guild?
We would be so glad to welcome you. Call the Basilica office at 266-1618 or click the red "Click to Contact" button at the bottom of this page.
Almighty God, grant we beseech thee, that we may handle holy things with reverence, and perform our work with such faithfulness and devotion that it may rise with acceptance before thee and obtain thy blessing; through Christ our Lord. Amen