2019-20 SACRED MUSIC CONCERT SERIES
The Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul invites you to join us for our 2019-20 Sacred Music Concert Series. Save the dates!
September 29, 2019 5:00 pm - Organ Recital by Dr. Sarah Harr, FAGO: The Life & Legacy of Paul Manz: 1919-2019
November 10, 2019 5:00 pm - Gloria Dei Schola benefit concert for Food for the Poor
December 12 & 13, 2019 7:00 pm - Roueché Chorale & Orchestra Candlelight Lessons & Carols
December 19, 2019 3:00 pm - Jubilate Deo Youth Schola Concert at Alexian Village Town Hall in Signal Mountain, TN
February 22, 2020 8:00 pm Chattanooga Bach Choir & Orchestra - Beethoven Mass in C*
March 29, 2020 6:00 pm - Misa Criolla concert with McCallie/Chattanooga Girls Choir* - benefit for the historic Basilica
* Ticketed event to support the non-profit organization
Donations are welcomed at all the concerts, to support the programs and the causes they benefit
ABOUT SACRED MUSIC AT THE BASILICAOur Jubilate Deo Youth Schola has class most Fridays at 4:15 p.m and participates in our parish life by singing regularly in the Sacred Liturgy and at other celebrations and devotions. All youth from grades 2 – 12 who can read words are welcome to participate in opportunity for learning, worship, and fellowship.
- Combined Choirs - On certain days, our choirs join together to bring our fullest offering of sacred music to the celebration. These celebrations include the Sacrament of Confirmation, First Holy Communion, parish anniversaries, the Corpus Christ Eucharistic procession, anniversary Masses, and some holy days.
- Music Education - Our Jubilate Deo Youth Schola classes incorporate music lessons. The Basilica has begun to offer occasional adult music classes in sight singing. Private piano and organ lessons can also be arranged through our staff organist and professional music teacher, Andrea Tierney, at 423-243-6350. If you are interested in music lessons, please contact Maria Rist or Andrea Tierney.
- Concerts - As a recently designated minor basilica, we open our doors to the community to share the gifts of our beautiful architecture, acoustic space, and pipe organ as we present concerts of inspirational choral and instrumental music. We are working toward a full series of concerts each year that feature our own talented musicians and special guests. For current concert offerings, see SACRED MUSIC NEWS above. Some previous concerts are highlighted below:
On August 6, 2017, Basilica organists Andrea Tierney and Cody Lawyer presented a recital of ancient chant settings through fiery twentieth century compositions. LISTEN HERE to Andrea Tierney's performance. LISTEN HERE to Cody Lawyer's performance.
Here is a clip of guest organist, Jim Fry, practicing before our 125th Anniversary organ recital: Trumpet Tune in D Major by David Johnson.
The Basilica presented the Voci Virili Men’s Consort in a sacred music concert, A Capella Traditions,on Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 6:30 pm. This concert featured religious songs from different musical eras and cultural traditions, arranged for men’s voices.
LISTEN HERE to the Feb. 12 2017 VOCI VIRILI concert
LISTEN to the conclusion of the concert
- Workshops and Community - In response to the Church's call to educate the faithful on sacred music, the Basilica participates in - and plans to eventually host - workshops in collaboration with the Church Music Association of America (CMAA). For the past couple of years, our Director of Sacred Music has attended the CMAA's Annual Sacred Music Colloquium. Not only can we all gain knowledge, skills, and experience by attending these gatherings, but we make valuable connections with other parishes, clergy, musicians across our region, the U. S., and beyond.
On August 15, 2015, we participated in such a workshop at Our Lady of the Mountains Roman Catholic Church in Jasper, Georgia, less than 100 miles from the Basilica. Several parishioners from the Basilica and other parishes around the Diocese of Knoxville attended, along with 130 people from six states. Our own pastor, Fr. David Carter, gave a rousing keynote lecture.
Click here for the written edition of Fr. Carter's keynote address: Re-discovery of the Church's Sacred Tradition: II Kings 22.Here is a report on the 8/15/15 sacred music workshop that was published on Corpus Christi Watershed.
Here are some more photos photos from the Summer Sacred Music Workshop in Jasper, GA on August 15, 2015.
To learn more about the music we sing at the Basilica and why we sing it, please visit our Joy of Tradition page. There you will find articles about the Church's current teachings on sacred music and our rich Catholic heritage of Gregorian chant and polyphony. Terms like the Sung Ordinary and Propers are explained here. And you can watch, listen, and learn the various settings of the Ordinary parts of the Mass that we sing as a a congregation.
Please contact our Director of Sacred Music, Maria Rist, at 865-335-0588, or through the Contact button below, to learn more about sacred music at the Basilica or to discuss opportunities to contribute to the ministry.
Photos of combined choirs and Jim Fry's organ recital for our 125th Anniversary: courtesy of Stephen Golder
Photos of Corpus Christi procession 2015, choir and pipe organ at Midnight Mass 2015, and parish organist, Andrea Tierney: courtesy of Robin Rudd
Photos of Basilica Choir: courtesy of Stephen Golder and Fr. David Carter
Diocese of Knoxville
The Diocese of Knoxville has a new Music Commission, established by Bishop Stika and chaired by Glenn Kahler, Director of Music and Liturgy at Sacred Heart Cathedral. All parishes and Catholic schools of the diocese are represented. All music ministers of the diocese are encouraged to register with the commission via the dokmusic.org website, which contains a calendar of events, musician registry and forum, educational resources, and information about the new Adult Choir, Children's Choir, and Handbell Choir which is being formed to serve at diocesan liturgies and events, especially at the new Cathedral.
- September 29, 2019 Organ Recital by Dr. Sarah Harr - The Life & Legacy of Paul Manz
- Music Schedule: Summer 2019 - June 24 to Sept. 1 (Revised 7/5/19)
- Music Schedule: Lent, Holy Week, and Easter through Corpus Christi - March 6 - June 23, 2019
- Senior Organ Recital by Therese Ohotnicky - May 5, 2019 - Flyer
- Chattanooga Bach Choir Rachmaninoff 10/8/17 Concert Flyer
- Organ Recital with Andrea Tierney and Cody Lawyer - August 6, 2017 - Flyer
- The Basilica's Pipe Organ: History and Commentary
- Basilica Sacred Music Annual Report - 2016
- CMAA Supports Sacred Music Tradition in the Southeast: An article about the 2016 Southeastern Sacred Music Workshop held at the Basilica
- Flyer for Summer Sacred Music Worskhop II on July 22-23
- Flyer about New St. Cecilia Classroom for Music Lessons!
- What We Have Done in Sacred Music during the Summer of 2015
- Sacred Music Newsletter: Summer 2015
- Vision for Sacred Music - from our Pastor
- Resources for Learning Gregorian Chant